1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing return to work date options after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by dancingpixie, Sep 7, 2015.

1. dancingpixie

dancingpixie New commenter

Hi

I've put my maternity leave request in writing and said I wish to take the full 52 week entitlement but that I was aware if I wished to change my return date I needed to give 21 days written notice. My head has now said that because I've stated I want the full year I would be unable to return any earlier and that you can only change the return date if you have less than a full year - this all sounds odd to me and I can't find any documents to support this. Can anyone help clear this up as if this is the case I will state less time and then use the 21 days to change it if I need to.

Thank you

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

There may be crossed wires here…. They may think you intend to change your date in terms of exceeding the 52 weeks you are entitled to….. A head teacher should always assume one would take the full 52 weeks and be aware that the post holder can return at any point prior to that date.

Inform your ill informed head teacher that it would be discriminatory for them to refuse your request to change your return to work date… as outlined here - www.gov.uk/.../notice-period - which clearly states an 8 week notice for return period….but more importantly refer to the STPCD which gives teachers the 21 day notice to return time which is more favourable and your right if your school adheres to the statutes within it.

I would produce both of those documents politely highlighting the relevant sections and curtly inform them that they seem confused. Your union or professional body should support you with this should they dig their heels in and be determined to look a wally.