1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing of the school day

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Lalex123, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

Our school is changing the school day to finish later. They are within the 1265 but really pushing it. Is there anything we can do as staff to change the heads mind? We have submitted our points for her to consider but she is just going ahead anyway.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

Assuming we're talking about September 2019 onwards, I'd say no as Directed Time is not going to be offended. You could whinge directly to the governors but why they'd listen to you over the head is a outcome that escapes me. I also doubt the staff are militant enough to join forces and insist on it via union action. Enough staff have already failed to man the barricades over even worse than this so that option is probably closed.

Perhaps forces outside the school's control might help. Even when all have been in favour of timings it has been discovered that the buses can't accomodate this change without a significant increase in costs.

3. Lalex123

This will start in January so staff are annoyed at changing daycare arrangements and that we are very close to the directed time allowance with no wiggle room for KS4 revision after school. It’s tsking all the good will out of us and making people want to just leave at the end of the day instead of supporting our students.

JohnJCazorla and jlishman2158 like this.
  4. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

This year's directed time calendar should already have been done. Has the head consulted with anyone?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

How do the parents feel about this? It's not just staff who have child care arrangements which will need changing. I know we're talking secondary, but it could well cause problems for parents collecting children, especially if they have other children at other schools.

And there's always the possibility of pupils attending clubs, training, jobs, etc which will be affected by a longer school day.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

@bajan is quite correct, the directed time calendar can't be changed this significantly whilst underway.

But what are you prepared to do about it? Is there enough backbone within a significant majority of the staff to take union action over this? That's always the problem, plenty of whingers but who'll back the action?

Well you can always blame the union(s) for doing nothing.:(

agathamorse likes this.
  7. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Talk to your union rep unless they can gauge the feelings about this they will be less able to help.

When you say the length of day has been increased has extra teaching time been added?

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Senior commenter

By how long is the day being extended?

9. Lalex123

There has been 3 extra periods added to 3 days to ease pressure on staff with full timetables instead of employing more staff. They are cutting our lunch to 30 minutes and break to 10 minutes too so that there is less of an impact after school for parents. This means that I will have little to no opportunities to run any extra classes for students who are struggling because everyone will be fighting over pupils and I doubt they’d stay until 5pm!

I have spoken to the union reps but they think it’s all a done deal and I think most staff don’t have the energy to contest it! The only people who are frustrated are non core because they do the most after school.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Senior commenter

I think In your position I would be wanting to know what's behind all this. I would want a transparent explanation. It sounds like there is a budget reason for it but the head should also be aware that it can be a false economy as you then get a reduction in good will and increased sick leave when staff struggle to cope.
    It sounds very rushed through and I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask for further discussions around it.

Lalex123 likes this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So remove the goodwill. When asked to do revision you say sorry, the new TT soaked up all the time for this.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

have the parents been consulted?I beleive that there is a required lead time for this (2 terms)?.

agathamorse and Lalex123 like this.
  13. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Three extra periods to reduce pressure on teachers with full timetables, how does that work?

14. aypi

aypi Occasional commenter

We wound up with a 20 minute break in the morning and an hour and 5 minutes at lunch. It was so civilised. We still had the same amount of teaching to do. On a nice day I would go a spin on the bike I had left at school for that purpose. We would get back to class and not be breathless. Anyone proposing a ten minute morning break and then 30 minutes at lunch has forgotten how hard it is to teach.

15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It used to be a full school year (we went through this some time ago in a school I worked in), but, of course, Gove (or similar) may have changed this...

16. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

We had what was euphemistically called 'Third Session', which was an extra two, hour-long lessons, added onto the school day. Initially, this was done when our school joined a Sixth Form consortium but it became the norm for KS 4. The whole idea was entirely counter-productive as both students and teachers were exhausted by 5 - 5:30. Teaching seven hours per day for two or three days on the trot is murderous!

Morning break was whittled down from twenty, to fifteen, and finally to ten minutes, making it all but useless. By the time you had herded students out of the building, it was time for them to come back in again. Finally, it just became an extended transit time between lessons, often leading to rowdy behaviour in corridors, which we had to patrol. Similarly, lunchtime was reduced from an hour to forty minutes, then to thirty-five. The SMT seemed obsessed with the idea of getting the lunch break down to thirty minutes or less, though it never worked in practice, as it was almost impossible to get students through the canteen in such a short time.

17. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

When I was at grammar school fifty years ago (Jeez!), we had about an hour and twenty minutes for lunch. Even if you were on the second lunch shift, there was still time, weather permitting, for a leisurely walk over to the rugby field for a postprandial smoke,

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Will this not make transport, especially public difficult. Even moving school buses is a nightmare and I would have thought the contract for such is already in place. OK I suppose if you don't have any school buses.
    What about students who have other commitments after school or extra tuition.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yep, he did. He "removed the bureaucratic burden" of the consultation requirements in 2011. (Which only ever applied to LA schools, never to academies)

The DFE press release at the time said

Schools will still be expected to consult and to take account of the views of all interested parties before they implement any changes to the school day. They will be advised to consult and serve reasonable notice on their local authority, parents, pupils and staff, but free from national regulation being imposed on them.

But that 'expectation' exists solely in a DfE minister's head. No requirement, not even any official DFE guidance.

Transport can be the major issue if school bus is how most pupils get to school. Or not a concern at all for an inner city secondary where pupils travel independently by public transport.

FrankWolley and JohnJCazorla like this.
  20. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Kids going home in the dark for more of the year. Fewer opportunites for outdoor play after school. SAD becomes more prevalent. Teachers have less time for themselves, less time with their own families and are more likely to leave the profession.
    Teacher crisis exacerbated.