1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing mat leave start date!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by moomoon, Mar 29, 2011.

1. I think I left about 33 weeks, I can't quite remember- I am sure it was a similar time to Ange- we had similar due dates, but I had quite a bit of time to rest and I do not regret it in the slightest, I went swimming, walked into town, met up with my mum and relaxed in the garden with some ice cream. Before, I was struggling at work at it was an active job which involved quite a lot of walking and I had had enough. I just wanted some me-time

I gave birth 2 weeks early but would have been quite happy with an extra 2 weeks to relax. I am quite good at entertaining myself and did not get bored, it was quite a luxury.

Do what feels right- it will be a very long time before you can have any time to relax like that, so make the most of it!
    If you want to carry on- do. everyone is different. Some people work right to the end, but it doesn't make them 'better' or anything, just different.

2. Thanks for your input Ladies. I think you are right about there being no prizes. This is what I have struggled with but it's true! I'll see how it goes x

3. I know exactly what you mean. I'm due late-ish August and want to go right to the end of term. According to my current dates I should be about 36 1/2 weeks on my last day too, and the longer I continue, the more I'm thinking will I be able to cope with that? With my mw already saying I should stop earlier due to my back, I'm not sure if I can make it.
    But what's always in the back of my mind is nearly 4 weeks summer holiday pay that i'm missing out on, and would be gutted if I missed out on that and also having less time with LO.
    My colleague did the same as you are planning, but came back for the one day inset after half term which would have made her 38 weeks by then! It was a push, but for her she managed it. Everybody's bodies and feelings are different, so I guess you'll just see how you feel. If you do stop earlier, then after you've had your baby, you won't even think about it :)

4. Could you discuss a 'fitness to work' certificate with your midwife? This outlines what you can do rather than signing you off completely (the old sick note). Someone in my team did this and for the final 4 weeks she only worked mornings but stayed on full pay. School has to accomodate this if it is what the doctor says is needed.

5. Thanks for your replies all.
    Chica, sounds like you have made the right decision- i know it's frustrating about the pay. that is what i'm hanging on for too but maybe I'm going to need to be sensible like you. i was measured as big for my dates today at 28 wk appt so i think that might be why I'm feeling so heavy and tired. Will see how it goes. Hope you can get a bit of rest Chica. is your little boy in childcare some days to give you a break?!