1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing Jobs... any advice?!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by jeshow, Feb 25, 2016.

1. jeshow

jeshow New commenter

I work as a head of faculty at a school around 45 miles from where I live. I've done the job for two years. I really enjoy the job and love the school - it's the best I've worked in. I've made some great friends and have some fantastic people to work with.

However, the school is 45 miles from where I live and therefore I spend over an hour each way driving there. I have two young children who I only then get to see at home for half an hour or so until they go to bed and it's hard going for my partner when I'm often home late.

I've been offered an interview as a head of subject at a school just 2 miles from my home. The school looks really good and has a great reputation. Whilst it would be a step down, when I take account of my travel expenses I'd be on a similar wage to what I earn now. My dilemma is whether it's the right thing to do! I'm really torn as I enjoy my current job so much. But I can't help but worry about the impact my traveling has on my family and wonder whether it's the best thing to do for them.

Thank you for reading. Any advice or thoughts are much appreciated!

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I think that only you can decide this.

Middlemarch likes this.
  3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Write down the pros and cons. Try if you can to give them some weighting, perhaps with family help. See where the balance lies if you add it all up.
    This won't make the decision for you but will help clarify. In the end only you can make the decision, as others have said, and it'll be partly logical and partly emotional or instinctive. Good luck whichever way.

5. jeshow

jeshow New commenter

Thank you all for your replies. I'll look at the pros and cons and come to a decision hopefully!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Another way to help you is to toss a coin.

Tell yourself that you will do what the coin says.

Toss it,.see the way it falls, .and catch that fleeting initial reaction. Were you disappointed or delighted?

This can help you by adding the gut feel to your analytical example.

Best wishes

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    jeshow likes this.
  7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

It is a difficult one. If you read these forums you will see that many people's experience here is not that of someone content at their school (I don't think that Workplace Dilemmas is a barometer for all in the profession mind you) so be careful.

On the other hand a 90 mile round commute a day is more than a 'decent' commute. I work about 20 miles from my workplace and would not want any more- certainly not with kids. I would personally go for it, In your position if this is the right school then a move down may be financially and personally sensible. Particularly if you are not looking for a promotion into senior management in the medium term etc.

8. jeshow

jeshow New commenter

Thank-you for your view. I've decided to go for it. The school has a very good reputation and I would have a much better work-life balance. I'm still fairly early into my career and have no strong inkling to move into senior management. I love my subject too much! Thank-you again.

DYNAMO67 likes this.