1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing jobs after maternity leave?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by toastandtea, Sep 15, 2018.

1. toastandtea

toastandtea New commenter

Hi,
    I’m in a bit of a quandary of what to do having only just returned from maternity leave. While on mat leave there was a restructure of SLT and without meaning to give too much away for fear of being recognised, my role has become effectively not needed. I say this because roles have been created over the top of mine that make my role redundant basically. So technically I’ve still returned to work with the same role but I don’t see how it fits in. While on mat leave I was told about the opportunity for promotion to one of these higher roles as it were but because I have returned part time I was told the role was for full time staff only. Unfortunately I was unwell during pregnancy due to severe sickness so in effect I was off work for 15 months in total.
    Prior to this school I was a deputy head but left because my husband and I were relocating. I’ve seen a deputy head job come up at a nearby independent school. Would I be mad to apply for it? Do heads see maternity leave on a CV and run a mile?? I don’t want to work in a dead end job even though I love my child dearly and want to be able to be there for her. Or am I just being far too optimistic thinking I can apply for this job having been off recently and just have to accept dead end job for a while??
    Thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

2. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

For various reasons I ended up applying (and luckily getting) new jobs after both of my maternity leaves. I’m secondary, but applied for middle leader roles for both - one as head of subject and one as head of house. I applied for one while on maternity leave and the other shortly after returning. Both were jobs I was seriously interested in doing so I though I’d give applying a go and decided I had nothing to lose. Neither headteacher of the schools I’d applied to had a problem with me recently being on maternity. I’d say go for it if you like the sound of the new job more can your current one.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Always apply...you never know you might be just what they are looking for.

4. install

install Star commenter

Union time - check your rights:cool:

agathamorse likes this.