1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing Hours Mid-Year

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Guest, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,
    I am posting on behalf of a colleague and hope you can help me.

My colleague has been called in to speak to the head about changing her hours mid-year. She currently does 4 half hours a day and the head now wants to change those hours to one afternoon a week. (she does other hours too but it is these she wants to change).

My colleague has been told that unless she agrees to the changes, the head will cut her hours.

My questions are basically:
    Is this legal?
    Can they head make a member of staff change their hours mid-year?

My colleague doesn't want to change hours as she has committed herself elsewhere on the afternoon in question. She has a permanent part-time contract.

Many thanks.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

She should contact her union.
    I'd hope that this can be challenged in the same way that a change to the directed time calendar can be challenged - she's made arrangements based on what she was told at the start of the year.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It seems unreasonable, although I know of nothing in the rules which say that part time hours can only change at the start of a school year. As suggested above, union advice seems to be the right way forward. It is worth having a look at her contract just in case there is something useful there, although I doubt it.