1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing hours and roles

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by alt1979, May 9, 2012.

1. I have just returned from maternity leave and returned to the post which I had before going off. I have now decided that from September I would like to drop my two responsibility points and reduce my hours to just two days a week rather than full time.
    Am I entitled to do this and what do I need to do to ask for this.
    Thanks

2. I have just returned from maternity leave and returned to the post which I had before going off. I have now decided that from September I would like to drop my two responsibility points and reduce my hours to just two days a week rather than full time.
    Am I entitled to do this and what do I need to do to ask for this.
    Thanks

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congratulations on that new baby!
    Here is my standard-answer-that-I-prepared-earlier on requesting p-t as a parent:

You have a legal right to make an application (but only once per year), and have it seriously considered, but <u>not </u>a right to have it granted.

If the request is turned down, it must be for an <u>appropriate business reason</u>, and they must tell you what the reason is so that you can appeal against it.

First stage is to put your request in writing to the Head; the Head then has 28 days to hold a meeting with you to discuss it.

NB You can see from the letter that the onus is on YOU to show how it can be managed, YOU have to identify any possible drawbacks for the school and say how they can be overcome. If you just say there are no problems, and then they identify some and turn your request down, you haven't had a chance to show a possible solution. So make sure you think it through carefully, both the problems (normally to do with communication between the two halves) and how to solve them.
    Here's the sort of letter you should write. Nice and formal - shows you want a formal - and legal - reply!

Dear xxx

I would like to apply to work a pattern that is different to my normal working pattern under my right provided in law. I confirm that I meet each of the eligibility criteria as follows:

* I have responsibility for the upbringing of either a child under 16 or a disabled child under 18.

* I am the mother, father, adopter, guardian or foster mother or father of the child, or married to or the partner of the mother, father, adopter, guardian or foster mother or father of the child

* I am making this request to help me care for the child

* I am making this request no later than two weeks before the child's sixteenth birthday or 18th birthday where disabled

* I have worked continuously as an employee of the company for the last 26 weeks

* I have not made a request to work flexibly under this right during the past 12 months

The proposed new working pattern that I am applying for is &hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;

This will affect you as an employer in that &hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;.

This impact on you as an employer can be lessened or removed by &hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;

I understand that according to the legislation, you will hold a meeting with me to discuss this within 28 days.
    Do give that baby a big tickle from me!
    Best wishes.

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

presumably this means relinquishing the role for which you receive a TLR...this could be more problematic if there is no-one currently at the school who wishes to take it on - do a search on here for "giving up TLR" - if I recall the poster <u>becktonboy </u>has posted extensively on this topic