1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing GCSE Exam board?

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by asgar1984, Sep 11, 2017.

1. asgar1984

asgar1984 New commenter

Hi, In a bit of dilemma, we have always used Edexcel for GCSE Business, however it's not accessible for all our students as our intake has a lot of low ability students. Due to the recent decline in results for the last few years; I am looking at other exam boards but from my 10 years of teaching experience I have always used Edexcel. Can anyone please give me any guidance or advice about using OCR or AQA. I have looked at the specification, I am wondering which of these boards are slightly easier to access than Edexcel. The school is not allowing us to change to BTEC, due to the other vocational subjects offered in the department.
    Any of your guidance or support will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. thebusinessone

thebusinessone New commenter

Hi

We have just moved away from OCR to Edexcel. I mark for both exam boards and in my opinion the Edexcel is much more straight forward. It is very clear what the students have to do to achieve the marks on each question, whereas OCR you could have two different 9 markers and they want different things from the answer. Edexcel is the same approach so in terms of preparing them for the answers it is much easier.

Hopefully you find something that suits your needs

x

3. LivelyEducation

LivelyEducation New commenter

Hi

I have used OCR, AQA and Edexcel over the years. None have perfect marking but I don't have any big complaints about any of them. With the new specifications all the boards have identical assessment objectives and Ofqual monitor marking so they will all have to take a similar approach to marking 9 or 12-mark questions. If you intend to use a textbook you might like to have a look at them to help you decide as they flesh out the specification and hopefully put it in a logical teaching order. When I teach groups with EAL students I try to look for exams with less reading and more short answer questions. Hope that this helps. Whichever board you go with, I am sure it will be fine.