1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing from Secondary to Primary

Discussion in 'Primary' started by msworld, Mar 12, 2012.

1. msworld

msworld New commenter

I have met teachers who have moved from secondary to primary without re-training.
    I think it is possible, but depends on whether you can persuade the Head in an interview / application that you are fit for the job.
    It would probably look good if you could demonstrate some kind of experience of working with primary age children (tutoring, transition work) and knowledge of primary levels and curriculum.

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It is entirely possible, I've done it.
    However I did it a few years ago (via middle schools as well) and life is much much harder now.

You will need to convince a HT that you can teach every single subject to a good standard. Level 5 maths in year 6? Phase 4 phonics in year 2? Outdoor PE on a cold wet day in November?

And not just that you can do all this, but can do it better than someone who is trained and a little experienced AND several grand cheaper than you.

There are often a hundred or more applicants for primary posts in good schools, will you be a better bet than all of those?

4. Thank you all for your advise.

I will definitely look into it more. I will try and get some experience in a Primary School also to make sure I want to make the transition.