1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing from Primary Teaching to Secondary ... Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by mrjjcoates, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me. I have recently qualified as a primary school teacher and I have a post for this academic year with only one term of NQT to pass as well.

I have been thinking about secondary education a lot and whether I would be better suited to secondary education, instead of primary education.

I was just wondering what are my options for this. Do I have to complete a full degree then PGCE? Can I do a foundation degree in my subject? Can I do a top-up course through an agency? etc.

If anyone could offer advice or point in another direction, that would be great. :D

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You are qualified as a teacher (not in Scotland), not specifically for primary so in theory you can be appointed to a secondary post - IF you can persuade a secondary head that you'd be better at it than secondary-trained applicants.

What subject were you thinking of teaching? And what is your degree? If, for example, you had a degree in maths, your prospects are much better than if (for example) you had a degree in history or geography. If your degree isn't a proper national curriculum subject - but is (for example) primary education - your chances are non-existent.