1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

changing from PE teaching (Primary and secondary) to Sociology/Psychology classroom teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cardelle, Oct 27, 2015.

1. cardelle

cardelle New commenter

Dear all,

I am currently teaching PE at an international School in Bangkok (last three years) and I am truly enjoying it, however i have recently thought about a career change up. I taught History to KS3 in my school back in the UK and thoroughly enjoyed the whole classroom teaching. I am currently only teaching primary PE and would like a school change along with subject change or incorporation of an alternative subject.

I have A-Levels along with a key interest in both Sociology and Psychology and feel confident in teaching both via strong subject knowledge. Is this possible or am i being too ambitious...? If possible what would i need to do to allow myself the greatest chance of employment? Also is there any further reading subject knowledge i need to develop before taking the new challenge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I would say no chance at all.

1) You are a qualified history teacher.
    2) You are currently working in primary, a world away from the subject area you want to teach
    3) You are currently working abroad.
    4) You have no degree in either subject you wish to teach i am assuming
    5) The subject that you wish to teach is not in demand or widely taught. Many people who may train in either subject ( and i don't know why they would due to the former point anyway) will struggle to get jobs of any kind.

Sorry to sound blunt, but i see no chink of light here at all...

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It is possible but not too probable. Still, how can we expect our students to have ambition if we don't? Work towards what you want although progress may be tortuously slow and crablike - a good opportunity to think things through rationally - but also start working on a Plan B now which exploits your current position. Plan B is stupidly important. In time, the Plans may transpose order. if Plan A doesn't work then kick the **** out of Plan B.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. cardelle

cardelle New commenter

Excellent thanks.

I don't wish to return back to the UK at any point, but thank you.

I am a qualified Secondary teacher of PE and History and have found that it is easy and flexible to move between the different age groups (with fun challenges) as well as teaching history at KS3 WITHOUT a degree in history.
    I would ideally like to do what I have done before which is:
    main teaching PE Secondary with starting one or two lessons a week in either psychology or sociology and work my way up.
    My plan B is to enjoy teaching still regardless of the idea of a new challenge :)
    I have seen some teaching jobs with both sociology and psychology in the secondary International set up ;) but yes I am aware it isn't in high demand... Perhaps some schools would wish to set up the IGCSE/A-Level course and need an enthusiastic young teacher with experience in both areas to teach it :)

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wasn't clear in your OP that you were talking of international placements still, @cardelle .

You may well find that a greater amount of subject flexibility, such as you would offer, is most welcome.

Why don't you start by asking your current school if they could widen your timetable?

They might be willing to oblige to retain a valued colleague.

Best wishes

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

@cardelle I have no experience of teaching abroad, I assumed from your post that you were returning to Britain. My response was based on such assumption. I have no real clue as to the likelihood of this being possible abroad. I would certainly talk it through with your own school as Theo suggested.

8. cardelle

cardelle New commenter

Oops sorry for confusion.
    I have already started other classroom duties - however all based around primary as well as PE timetable.

Thanks for your the advise.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon )