1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing from 'good school' to 'not so good'...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Pearl Earring, Mar 6, 2012.

1. I'm in my second year with an extremely high-achieving secondary. I respect my HOD, I am learning alot in here, and the work is constant. But, unfortunately, I'm feeling stifled and unappreciated, for numerous reasons that I don't need to detail.

The kids are well-behaved and we have LOTS of marking, admin, the usual. However, the department I'm in is very cliquey, doesn't mix with the rest fo school, and is a bit stifling and formal. We stay in our roOms at lunch and break, and we hear how we're doing ONLY when something needs fixed. My boss, I'm almost certain, doesn't like me, because I'm a bit kooky and like to make learning fun. I am not a rigorous, disciplined and overly-strict teacher, but my results are great and my kids enjoy my classes.

I think this isn't the school for me, so have applied for a LESS high-performing school, with slightly less able kids and a more family-focused and caring ethos.

I feel like the kids themselves are bottom of the priorities in this place. It's all about results, and teachers are competitive and unsupportive. Am I making a mistake? This other school is also Catholic, which helps me and is more akin to what I want from my job.

Thoughts? Please?

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

You have to do what's right for you, and that includes enjoying your work. You wouldn't know how the new place is until you get there and have settled in, for it could be a case of frying pans and fire.
    Mind you, your comment below troubles me:
    I simply cannot believe that there is a school anywhere in the country in which the children are not the priority.[​IMG] I believe that every single one of us has the kids' needs are our only priority.

3. Unfortunately not. We as teachers, of course, care about the kids. As a school, it's been made explicitly clear that we must meet targets.

The targets are crazy. I'm exhausted. I hope the next place I go to is a little more realistic!

4. I'm not convinced Siegen is being 100% serious

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

You're right. I wasn't. The smiley was meant to indicate sarcasm.
    I've said elsewhere that our priorities of teaching students and management's priorities of getting results are not the same thing.