1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing from GCSE AQA to BTEC?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Lyns, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Lyns

Lyns New commenter

Our options are being rounded up again and I've been asked if I would prefer to teach the BTEC instead of the GCSE (or possibly a long side it?) Does anyone have any thoughts on this? We used to teach the BTEC (previous teacher of Media) but that was before the exam element came in to it.
    If it's a possibility - is there a course anyone would suggest that they've enjoyed teaching and has been successful?

Thanks!

2. JohnAdamsonOCR

JohnAdamsonOCR New commenter

I'm completely biased of course...

But in case you are not aware, OCR have a similar qualification called the Cambridge National in Creative Media which may be of interest. Have a look here. It does also have an examined element to it.

There are free webinars to support teachers on the first Friday of every month which you can book on to here.

Hope this helps,
    John

3. backtoback

backtoback New commenter

Its a shame the CTEC Level 2 cannot be taught to school children as this would be a nice progression to the Level 3 we already teach.

The topics are a lot broader and give better scope to skills than the creative media course.

4. amylong

amylong New commenter

we do btec level 1/2 creative digital media. It's a lot of paperwork I have to say. 75% practically based, just 1 1 hour exam which is 25%. A lot of course content to cover. I will probably change over to AQA come the new spec in 2017.