1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Changing from full time to part time

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by music1421, Feb 4, 2019.

  1. music1421

    music1421 New commenter


    Just wondering whether anyone could advise me with regards to requesting to teach part time. I am looking to study a part-time MA in September, which would require 1 day a week at Uni, plus another day at a placement.
    Who do I make my request to? Will it be most likely that they will refuse the request? I'm just a bit concerned about losing my job and trying to afford supply teaching.

    Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated - thank you in advance!
  2. frustum

    frustum Star commenter

    The regulations are here: https://www.gov.uk/flexible-working/applying-for-flexible-working

    You apply to your head. I would try and have an informal chat about it before putting in the written application. That might give you a good idea of whether they're likely to say yes or no. If it sounds like they might say no, you might get an idea of the reasons, which can be useful. They have to give valid business reasons for turning down your request. One of the things you have to do in your application is to say how the school might be affected and how this could be handled. If you have an idea which reason(s) they will cite, this is your chance to pre-empt them and suggest solutions. For instance, they will find it harder to cite "inability to recruit" if you are able to suggest someone who would be interested in picking up two days of your subject.

    If your subject is currently overstaffed, you'll stand a better chance. If you're music, that's probably easier to timetable than something like English, where working only three days tends to cause split classes. If you're the only music teacher and your job includes liaison with visiting instrumental teachers, you'll need to resolve how that would work on days you're not in.
  3. Girlfromthenorthcountry

    Girlfromthenorthcountry New commenter

    If you want to return to full-time after you've completed your MA it might not be avaliable to you... depending on what your new contract says.
  4. frustum

    frustum Star commenter

    Good point - you need to know that the flexible working rules are for a permanent change. (However if both parties want to make it a one year/two year thing, they can do that by mutual agreement.)

Share This Page