1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing disciplines - Physics to PE teacher

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Rubey, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Rubey

Rubey New commenter

Hi there,

Has anyone got any advice about changing from one subject to another? I have been teaching Physics for 8 years now, but mostly look forward to Games sessions, and would like more of my life to be dedicated to it. I am wanting to move schools at the end of this year, and wonder if it's worth me trying to apply to PE teacher positions.

Should I be trying to get in some lessons in the PE department? Do I stand a chance if I apply with very little PE experience? I have tried to press on with Physics but can't stop thinking about getting out on the field again!

Ruben

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think you'd need some experience on your application before being considered. And your references would have to make some reference to it otherwise a new Head would have no evidence of your competency in the subject.

I know of what you speak though. In my time I've taught about seven subjects. And when I apply for jobs it gives me a greater range of options and I hope it makes me a more attractive candidate. But you need to get some experience.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

All I can say is that you would not have much chance, to be blunt. There is an over-supply of P.E. teachers who are trained and experienced.

And, of course, a shortage of Physics teachers.

Even if you did get a job in P.E., you could find that your timetable suddenly and mysteriously changes into almost all Physics . . . Yes, a Head is able to do that!

Do you do any coaching with youngsters at the weekend? Foorball, rugby, cricket tennis for under 8s, under 10s, under 12s, under 14s - they would all be very pleased to see interest from someone who could commit to half a day at the weekend. That could give you a good time in the activity that you prefer.

You could also consider moving to an Indy school where you would be employed for Physics teaching but where your enthusiasm for sport would be very much welcomed.

Best wishes