1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing class names

Discussion in 'Primary' started by csnyman, May 15, 2010.

1. As Rowan is an unusual tree I wonder if we might work in the same school as it is an unusual tree to choose at random,or am I barking up the wrong tree.Personally I prefer year numbers and initials as they let you know exactly the class you need were as i don't always remember which class is "tethered" to which tree.

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I'm not trying to be rude and it isn't just you but it amazes me how many teachers (from this thread) seem to find it hard to remember a few class names. I'm surprised you can even remember the names of the children in your class.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I speak to my class every day. For several hours. I see them in front of me, and associate their faces and personalities with their names.
    The first years, on the other hand, and their teachers and classrooms, are like another world to me, far across the other side of the building. What possible way would I have to remember that Mrs Smith's class is actually called Foxgloves? There is no association - and association is the key to most memory.

4. Milgod

You're middle school so i'm not sure about your set up. There might be a lot more classes in your school than most primaries.
    If you needed to send a note and couldn't remember the name then just say go to Mrs . . . . classroom. The names are there for a bit of fun for awards/sports day/singing competitions/inter-year competitions etc.
    You don't need to know every single teacher and class name (although there isn't usually THAT many to remember). Most teachers would only deal with the years directly above and below them on a regular basis, so maybe 6 classes.
    Also, most in most cases class names stay the same year in year out. Foxes are Y3 every year, Eagles Y4 every year etc. This is very easy to remember.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Now I think that knowing the teacher's name is more important than knowing Y2 class are the dungbeetles ...

6. Maybe it works better in small schools, we have 14 classes so would probably take quite a while to learn the names (especially as you wouldn't use many of them on a daily basis)
    I'm with the letter/number brigade: simple and efficient.
    My class always choose their own table names (I then spend the year forgetting which table is Michael Jackson or Sponge Bob Square Pants...!)

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Can I nominate this as the silliest argument on the internet ever? And quickly becoming the most boring thread on the internet ever?
    Who bloody cares who calls their classes what in their school? Does it matter or make any bit of difference to anything at all?
    Milgod, you sound like a man demented. You like names. Great. Some people don't. Equally great.
    No-one dies.

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

nick909 has a point.

But I still think I'm right [​IMG]

9. Milgod

I think you know I meant what class name each teacher has.
    alea - We have 14 classes as well. As I said before, not that many.
    Nick - I agree that it is fine for some and not for others. In fact I have said that as well. My point is that some 'teachers' seem to find it hard to remember a few class names. Pretty poor IMO.

We should all just agree to do our own thing or that my idea is the best.

10. ROTFLMAO - Crickey if this is the worst thing some peeps have to worry about they really have it made ;-)

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not even Mrs Smith being a foxy lady??

12. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Must admit though, there is a small (puerile and highly immature) part of me that would love to hear a head stand in front of the school at the assembly where the kids find out who they've got next year and loudly beclaim:
    "And Mrs Davies has got Great T*ts"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

_xProudToBePoshx_ likes this.
  13. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I do and I replied to you.
    I think it is important that all the staff and all the children know all the classes and the names of those classes

14. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Our new head made us change class names to a theme in september. The children voted on a name. We might only have 8 classes but I still cant remember which class is which. Bring back teachers names!

15. I agree. Ours were changed from numbers to avoid confusion when we had to split year groups over two classes & parents thought that their child had been demoted if they were a year 5 in class 2 instead of class 1. We have trees & everyone seems to cope fine, although I could see the difficulty in a larger school.

16. the school where i work all the classes are the year group and the teachers initials which is also helpful when passing info around the school as you can easily remember the teachers name. helps office staff too when we phone up to enquire about something specific for our class
    hope that helps

17. So does the class name change if/when the teacher leaves mid-year?

18. And the system doesn't work so well with mixed aged classes like we have.

19. If you consider circles as having an infinite number of sides they should be way above octagons!

20. Last year we were flowers.
    This year we are birds.
    I like having a theme :) Its much nicer to stand up and say "Listen please bluebells!" than just "Listen children!"