1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing class names

Discussion in 'Primary' started by csnyman, May 15, 2010.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Reminds me of the table names for the different ability groups in my class...top table are Green (for 'go') and bottom are Red (for 'whoa there!)...similarly when have had 2D shapes as table names for maths...bottom table always Circles and top are Octagons...and once when our topic theme was WWII, top were Great Britain...bottom were....erm...Italy!
    Amazed they've never cottoned on. Bit naughty really, but I bet you've all done it...!

2. British birds - tit, thrush, swallow etc.

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Mine are done by letters in the word. Most letters the higher group. The kids know/work out who is top anyway.

4. How about birds-I know one that uses owls-and although they don't get the step up in numbers, the children know that going from tawny owls to snowy is a step up!!
    And if you wanted it Thames related how about water birds??
    :)

5. Related to the Thames?

How about tributary rivers - Fleet, Effra, Tyburn, Wandle, Brent, Crane, Lea, Ember, Walbrook.
    there's loads just in London - wikipedia it

6. Here's a bit of a twee one for you. How about using these:
    Tyburn
    Hinksey
    Abbey
    Mole
    Ember
    Swift
    The first letter of each spell Thames and are all rivers and waters that contribute to the river Thames therefore each class will be coming together to make the Thames i.e. the whole school working as one. If your head doesn't like that then there's no pleasing them! [​IMG]

7. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Tut tut! [​IMG]

Have to say I'm pretty impressed by anansie_uk's idea!

8. In an infant/primary school naming or numbering the actual classroom as opposed to the class seems more sensible, then the children learn where that class is no matter which teacher/group is in there. It stays the same throughout there time at the school.

9. Planets , jupiter, mars, mercury etc or better still let the kids choose

10. We're rural Oxfordshire and use the 'local' rivers largest to smallest corresponding to the children's ages: Thames (years 5&6), Isis (years 3&4), Cherwell (years 1&2), Windrush for the F1's, Brook for F2&3 and Raindrops for the F4's. The children, parents and staff all use these class names and it works really well for us.

11. In my school (junior) teachers are human - we have first names too - my yr 3 class are called 3KW. The KW being my initials - all the kids know my first name but still call me Miss Williams - it helps when both Miss Wood and Miss Wade work with me!I don't get the whole names for classes thing -We have separate infant feeders schools that use funny names - its very hard for us in Juniors (a different school) to know who pupils previous teachers are etc!
    Keep it simple!

12. I like the name of rivers. When I was at school in Derbyshire our houses were named after the local rivers, namely : Wye, Goyt, Derwent and Manifold. I think tree names are a bit overused, the last two schools I've been at use them and I think you have to choose wisely with animals as previously mentioned. Perhaps there are some "local heroes" to name your classes after?

13. There's some interesting trends in Education - personalised class names is now one of them. I don't think the practice is wide spread in New Zealand, most primary school classes are named by the number of the room. For example, my class is known as Room 9 (as my classroom is number 9). Teachers can change rooms from year to year, and school organisation can have classes in any area, so it's not like you progress from Room 1 upwards. For example, as it stands this year, my children could move on to Room 8. I have a mixed year level class, so the simple numbering system works well. Plus as the children age, they learn which rooms have which numbers, so even if the teacher changes the kids will know where to go.
    I do know of some classrooms being referred to as learning pods however.

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I would immediately give up teaching if that ever happened over here.

15. Milgod

Or you could remove the stick out of your . . . .

Sorry. I just don't see how class names is not simple. It isn't like you have to learn hundreds of different classes.
    Why do you really need to know what class your infants used to be in? Do you call upon that info on a daily basis?
    I'm not saying it is for everyone but I find classes names after numbers/initials really really boring. Do you not give groups in class names? Or do you just call them 1,2,3 etc?

16. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I call the children by their name and don't find it boring at all.

17. Milgod

Well I do tend to give most of them nicknames but I was talking about groups. Do you not have any groups in class?

18. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Not permanent ones they change according to the activity

19. Milgod

Fair enough. I would think that would be a logistical nightmare. I find it much easier to set different work if children know what group they are in (Lit and Maths). Guided reading is much easier if I call out a group name to come to me.

20. My school recently changed to naming classes (having always used initials and year number previously). It works better when a teacher leaves part way through the year but I've yet to remember which class is which precious stone (I have been on maternity leave for half of it).

If you want things linked to the Thames you could go for things found there be that animals, boats, landmarks etc. but beware you don't end up with the class called condom or torso...