1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing class names

Discussion in 'Primary' started by csnyman, May 15, 2010.

1. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I blurred my point a little there. The children use it to mean something a bit strange/not appealing. I honestly don't think they associate the word gay with a sexuality untill you remind them. I agree it is important to enforce correct use of language, however when people such as Chris Moyales can use the term to mean something a bit rubbish and not be taken to task the meaning of the word is being used in a differnt context.

2. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

This usage is always unacceptable. When someone calls another person a 'spastic' or 'spaz', the speaker is not neutrally stating that the other has a specific disability; they are deliberately putting him or her down, using the negative semantic prosody of the word. 'That is so gay' or 'you gay'... these utterances are never 'innocent' - in a direct or indirect way, they are denigrating the identity of others . It is unacceptable that gay youngsters should repeatedly hear the term being used in an abusive way.
    The fact that Chris Moyles uses 'gay' to mean rubbish (or something similar) and has been allowed to... To me, this is no justification! Quite the reverse, really.

3. Ours is just the boring, bog standard, year 1, year 2, year 3 and so on...dead simple

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

We have a theme for our class names, but the first letter of the thing starts with the first letter of the teacher's surname. So Parrots class would be Mr P, Slugs class Ms S and so on. It makes things a little easier to remember, especially when there are 15 classes!

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Lucky Mr S! [​IMG]

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

the difference between calling someone a "spaz" and the use of "gay" to mean rubbish is surely obvious.
    Historically "gay" has had many meanings over the centuries and as language is always changing and evolving perhaps it is a positive thing that the meaning is taking yet another direction to that you seem to want to retain.

7. tafkam

I'd like to re-introduce the word "remmy" to fill this gap

8. Perhaps not an out an out cynic but maybe a tad 'not invented here...' Or perhaps just the difference between middle and primary school perspectives.

9. There's one school around here who haven't got class names around a theme - the kids picked 'em, nudged gently by the teachers and they've got things like Transformers, Thundercats and assorted stuff like that.
    Current popular one around here is endangered/exotic animals.

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I agree with a lot of what Tafkam says but not this time.

In my expereicne children love having classes/groups/tables named after things. Just like when I was in secondary school and we had a house system. I took pride in being from Clifford house.

Parents know what class their child is in and the office know what class is what year. I understand that chaning them could cause confusion but this would only be short term. I find it helps breed competition too. It would be pretty boring having an inter Y6 football match between 6H and 6B. Much better between Hawks and Kestrels etc.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My current school has two classes per year group. They are names x and y with the year group number in front. So: 1x, 1y, 2x, 2y and so on. It is totally impersonal and just plain horrible. Also makes it a nightmare to know whichyear 2 teacher has which class as you hear the same letters so many times no identity per teacher is possible.
    Nice, twee as you like, unique names would be fab!

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Many primary schools have a "house" system (we actually have Hawks and Kestrals) but when I heard myself saying will the Giraffes wash their hands now...

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Hahahahahah!
    [​IMG]

14. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

[​IMG]
    Nick909 - PM for you. Sorry it's taken so long!

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Read and will reply in due course Paul. The prospect of a Sunday evening glass of wine is currently taking precedence over thoughts of things work-related [​IMG].

16. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

I'm not too keen on the idea of naming classes after animals, but this thread has made me smile - my father once told me about a development of tower blocks somewhere in the Midlands where each building was named in turn after the local councillors, such as Johnson House, Taylor House etc etc. Everything was going fine, until they got to Councillor Parrott, and the prospective residents complained. Apparently, no one wanted to live in the Parrott House....
    Fingers crossed the SMT haven't read this thread and felt inspired to change the sensible 6M, 5P, 4H system we have in place. I just know I'd end up with "Hippo" or "Stoat". It's like having a World Cup Day and getting stuck with the Czech Republic.

17. tafkam

Indeed, the issue of using it to label your class in certain situations is always quite amusing.
    "The weasels are lined up beautifully... let's see if you can line up just as well as that Koalas"

Definitely a much more primary than middle thing, I reckon.

18. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Hey! My class are Stoats! I'm proud of it too.
    I also don't quite get the Czech Rep thing either. Am I missing something?

19. your classes could progress a bit higher up the food chain each year - start them off as tadpoles and send them on as golden eagles a few years later!!

20. It's because of mixed age classes (which we have throughout the school) that we changed from numbers to British wildlife (currently squirrels, otters, owls and hedgehogs) this year. The children and staff were all happy with numbers but the parents could not cope with their year 1 child being in class 2 or their year 3 child being in class 4, possibly for two years! This is our first year of change and I am still finding it hard to remember which animal goes with which class, apart from my own. (And we only have 4!!)