1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing careers

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by beccastar1982, Mar 13, 2016.

1. beccastar1982

beccastar1982 New commenter

Hi,

I have decided to leave teaching, there are many reasons that have contributed to this decision, which I won't go into here. In my head I am giving myself a year - a year to have a break from the classroom and find a new path or rejuvenate my teaching career (if I choose to return).

My question really, is to ask advice about how to pitch my 8 years of science teaching experience (11-18 comprehensive schools/Academy's and alternative provision schools as well and before that I was a science technician in a university after finishing my degree) in order to make myself appealing to new employers - and to emphasise the vast array of skills I have acquired during teaching into a business workplace.

My current personal statement is directed towards education settings - leading students on trips and pitching lessons at the right level/differentiating, managing behaviour and coordinating schemes of work etc.
    Where do I start to translate this into skills and attributes that employers not in education would find useful and give me a chance doing something different?

Thanks for you help

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

These documents may give you some ideas for teaching skills in general, and alternatives to teaching

Best wishes

Attached Files:

3. thegeologist

thegeologist Occasional commenter

I am in exactly the same position, I have a Geology degree and I am unsure where to start. I know I have a lot of transferable skills but don't want to waste a load of time barking up the wrong tree looking for other jobs.

Like you Becca I am fed up, not at cracking point yet but need to get out. A new challenge and focus is required.

missteach2005 likes this.