1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing career

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inquisitor40k, Feb 7, 2019.

1. inquisitor40k

inquisitor40k New commenter

Hi all,

I was an NQT for four months and decided to leave (I was teaching Geography GCSE and A-Level as a history teacher, I hated it!). After serious thought I've decided teaching isn't for me and have looked to change careers, but I cannot seem to find a job.

I've applied for four Student Recruitment Officer roles at unis, and was turned down from each because 'teaching isn't adeuqate experience', even though the job is going into schools, knowing pupils and guiding them on their choices when they hit 18. My PGCE and teaching experience (albeit 4 months) seem to count for nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which direction I should go? I'm at a loss and the pressure to find a job that 'matches' teaching is intensifying.

2. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

I'm not really sure why you would expect only 4 months of actual work to impress any employer.

I sympathise with your predicament....NQT year /first year of teaching is usually hell on Earth and teaching isn't the best job these days...but four months!

I would imagine that your best bet is to retrain in something else...or try and find another NQT position in a better school if that's possible. At least try and complete your training/professional qualifications and prove to any future employer that you can stick at something.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but the fact of the matter is that life generally is harsh and you sound to be a bit naive quitting one job and expecting to be able to walk into another - especailly one giving guidance to students when you have so little experience yourself.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi inquisitor40k, sorry you've had such a rough time. Even if you feel teaching is not for you, it seems like such a shame to quit when you've come so far. Why not look around for another school where you could re-start your NQT year? You should now have a better idea of what you definitely don't want now! Maybe try an independent school. Once qualified, you can then think about what you want. With History as a main subject, maybe the educational department of a museum would suit you. If you do decide on a career change, at least you will then always have your QTS if you want to return to teaching in the future. Good luck.

cissy3 and towncryer like this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Too late now, but sticking out the NQT year would have been far better. What are you doing at the moment? Giving up a job to not work isn't much of a recommendation, if you aren't working I'd start doing some voluntary work in the sector you want to be in and only you know what that is, not us.

There are any number of teachers who want to leave, many of whom have had successful careers to write on their cv, so unless it's low paid I think you'll have little success in direct competition unless you have experience or particular skills to offer. Education jobs in museums are far and few between and highly contested, though it depends where you live and what is around, get some voluntary work in first if you want to go in this direction.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    agathamorse, cissy3 and towncryer like this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

if you want to work in a university apply for any admin job or similar that is going, temporary, part time, whatever and do that for 6months and then take it from there.

agathamorse and cissy3 like this.
  6. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Keep going, keep applying. Something will turn up. I assume you are young so it may be that you will need to start a bit lower down the ladder. Get any job to start with even if it doesn't reflect your qualifications it will show a prospective employer that you are doing something and it may lead to further opportunities. What did you do your degree in? What did the people on your degree course go on to do? May be worth finding out.
    Good luck, something will turn up and well done for getting out when you knew it wasn't for you. Teaching is a soul destroying job better to have got out now than 10 years down the line.

agathamorse and cissy3 like this.
  7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Slow day in the TES office again!

New commenter, numbers, letter etc, generic question, add a little 'spice' and some controversy ie: 'only four months'!

Generate some traffic and then disappear.

cathr likes this.
  8. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

For an NQT, this sounds ridiculous to me. But what do I know? Except that this wouldn't have happened back in pre=historic times when I started teaching. You have my sympathy!

But some good advice given above. Best of luck!

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The OP was on an NQT Induction programme so already had/has QTS, which was conferred after successful completion of Initial Teacher Training. Induction simply rubberstamps being able to continue teaching in the State compulsor sector (5-16). Inducion is not needed for independent schools or for State or other 6th Forms.

Having done 4 months at the school, the OP will have completed one Induction term and only needs to complete two more (at the same school or at separate schools). That can be done with Maternity Leave covers/sickness covers etc whilst on supply.

If the OP is considering giving teaching another chance, they should establish if it was the Key Stages 3-4 that were generally the problem or whether it was the 6th form teaching. Was it teaching Geography or History that was the issue?
    If teaching is definitely a no-no from now on, perhps consider training to be a Careers Advisor or similar.

cissy3 likes this.
  10. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

So true. Welcome to Broken Britain - The Labour Party Days are truely gone.

11. julien6

julien6 New commenter

inquisitor40k do you still need help with this career move ? you seem rather inactive on this thread.