1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing Career to Teaching

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by shaunrae006, Nov 28, 2018.

1. shaunrae006

shaunrae006 New commenter

Hello All,

I am thinking of changing my career as a Manager at a major bank to teaching. I had a few questions and need some direction. I have zero experience and only know what I read in articles.

I been at my current job for 7 years and I manage two teams. I am blessed to have my job, but feel no passion and it’s stressful. I am a single mother of two children ages 8 and 10. I have an Associates degree in Accounting and I plan on returning to school for my Bachelors.

Myself and my daughters typically vacation in Europe, and it’s my dream to live there. I feel that teaching English would give me the best of both worlds. Something to be passionate about and also traveling.

Can anyone give me any advice on where to start? I would like to prepare financially for two years and then go. I feel it would also be a good age for my kids, as I would need a nanny or childcare.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

When you say you want to teach English do you mean as a foreign language, or English language and literature as academic subjects?

If you want to teach English as a foreign language in Europe you need to be aware that it doesn't pay well, so you'd struggle to live on the salary with two kids, and there's no way you'd be able to afford a nanny. Your kids would have to go to local schools, i.e. be taught in the local language. You'd also struggle to get a visa (you are American?) You'd need a qualification such as Cambridge CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching) to do this kind of job.

If you want to teach English language and literature as academic subjects then you need a bachelors in English, and then a teaching degree. Then you could potential get a job at an international school, earn a good salary (still not enough for a nanny though, not in Europe), and have your kids educated at that school for free.

3. shaunrae006

shaunrae006 New commenter

Oh I should have clarified. Yes, I would like to teach English in another country. Your reply has been very helpful. I am hoping in two years to have a substantial amount in savings and hopefully make a decent wage. Anything I do will be a downgrade, but I feel up to the challenge.