1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing career due to no supply work. What are the options?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by DaleX100, Dec 1, 2015.

1. DaleX100

DaleX100 New commenter

Supply has been so dreadful this term, as it has for many that I am leaving. In the last 9 years this has been the year ever, and it is no longer a reasonable way to earn a living.
    Anyone any suggestions on alternative career options as teaching is so obviously unsustainable anymore?

2. supply287

supply287 New commenter

Depends a little / a lot on how old you are...Eventually, do something you like.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi DaleX100

Over on the careers forum there are articles about alternative jobs for teachers. I agree with the above poster that you shouldmfind something you like.

4. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

I loved being a chemistry teacher and down here I was lucky to get minimum wage labwork alongside the most obscenely qualified people there are. I have a weird passion which has a commercial use and decided to get experienced and create my own company. As working for one of the consultants would have required a MSc (£11k) so I sold some stuff and instead of paying that, set a company up with my mate. It has been the same living on fresh air as supply, but when I do get work, it's £50 an hour. Good stuff.

The key to success, apart from being very very good is to not give up, not look at what other people are doing and just get on with it.