1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing career at 58

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by ikon66, Sep 27, 2015.

1. ikon66

ikon66 Occasional commenter

bit of a long shot given the economic climate.

58 next year but will only have 20 years in job and too young outlook to retire and don't want to live a poverty life.

Looked at moving to admin type post

Anyone had any success ?

Cheers

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Hi. I am just a year older and feel much the same. I want to finish my demanding, full time role but can't imagine not working at all. I would like something for a couple of days a week but not supply teaching. I had my fill of that 25 years ago! Something to make up for the change in state pension age which will leave me short of about £6k per year would be good.

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I left teaching and secured a new career in my late 40s. At 58 I was successful at interview for another role in a different company that I went part time to do but gave up after three months to return fill time to where I work. At 59 this year I was successful at interview for a move to a different part of the company.

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I left teaching at 59 and am happily working for a charity (can't afford to properly retire)

ilovesooty likes this.
  5. ilovesooty

I work for a charity too.

I think the third sector is the way to go.

6. corneronrye

corneronrye New commenter

I am currently teaching, have gone part time, job sharing as a class teacher, but I think it's time to call it a day. I love working but I've had enough the stress and pressure that goes with teaching these days. I'm a 52 year old female. Is there really any hope of getting another job?

7. Jeannine34

Jeannine34 New commenter

I left teaching aged 56 and for nearly three years have been working part time as a postie. Not everyone's cup of tea, but plenty of exercise and fresh air!

8. TalentEd_edu

TalentEd_edu New commenter

I work for a small education charity, Talent-ed Education which brings together bright students from low income backgrounds and retired teachers in small groups. It's a great way to contribute a couple of hours a week to staying involved in education and supporting those students who would not ever be able to afford private tuition. We work in London, Kent and East Sussex so do have a look if you are interested.

9. ikon66

ikon66 Occasional commenter

Maybe I could go full circle. My first job at 16 was telegram bike rider. Then a postie at age of 18

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Well, at the age of 60, I was offered a job with a major retailer.
    Decided to decline because my shift was a 6am start!!
    For £6.73 an hour! No, thank you.

11. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

I had thought this might be something for me to do but the Canadian postal service is shrinking drastically, so I don't think it would be possible anymore.

http://www.thestar.com/business/201...just-be-the-start-for-canada-post-report.html

12. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

At least you were offered some pay. The very few offers of 'employment' I have had expected me to give my services for free.

13. ilovesooty

There is no reason why it's impossible to secure employment in your late 50s but it's very dependent on what you apply for.

14. Jolly_Roger1

I have just turned 60 and I've been looking for a means of supplementing my pension for three years, with little success. I have applied for just about anything and everything I could possibly do. Much to my annoyance, many times I have been met with an attitude among potential employers, that makes them assume that, as I am in receipt of a pension, I will 'not be seeking a salary' and that I am 'looking for an opportunity to put something back'. It makes me see red!

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Oh yeah, that pyramid selling lark isn't it?

16. Jolly_Roger1

I think we have heard from 'Naggin the Nag before!!!!!

17. ilovesooty

Why are you telling potential employers you're in receipt of a pension?

18. Jolly_Roger1

I don't. Employers assume that this is so. I suppose they approach people like me, or call me to interview, in the hope of getting a skilled professional very cheaply, or for free.

19. annsue

annsue New commenter

Yes, it annoys me so much. Schools recruit volunteers and have them working (unofficially) as classroom assistants. Volunteers( usually early retirees) in all sectors these days - institutions can't run without them now.
    This "phenomena" is not just in teaching - my sound engineer graduate son has spent 3 yrs since graduating doing "no or low pay" jobs for various production companies who feel he should be grateful for the experience. He returned to uni as a mature student to follow a passion and turn his life around.

20. ilovesooty

I'm glad you aren't telling them!
    I think you've been very unlucky. I'm only a little younger than you and my experience has been that I've been considered for employment on a level playing field. I've never been expected to work for free, and my age has never been a factor. I do chair a charity for free but I chose to do that.