1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing Broadband provider

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sesame1, Dec 6, 2011.

1. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

I'm currently paying £13/month for BB with Orange (capped at 10gb a month, and speed of 8mps - I get about 5).
    I've read that PlusNet was reliable and cheap (£6.50) for a similar package as above and I'm thinking of changing now.
    However, I'm not techie at all and dread the actual process of changing, I'm not even sure if I'm locked into a contract with Orange, I'll check with them.
    Anyway, what is the exact process when you want to change? (this MAC, do you have to get if from your provider - how does it work?). Any particular order you have to do things in?
    (I don't mind being without internet for a few days but not longer if possible at all)

2. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

I'm currently paying £13/month for BB with Orange (capped at 10gb a month, and speed of 8mps - I get about 5).
    I've read that PlusNet was reliable and cheap (£6.50) for a similar package as above and I'm thinking of changing now.
    However, I'm not techie at all and dread the actual process of changing, I'm not even sure if I'm locked into a contract with Orange, I'll check with them.
    Anyway, what is the exact process when you want to change? (this MAC, do you have to get if from your provider - how does it work?). Any particular order you have to do things in?
    (I don't mind being without internet for a few days but not longer if possible at all)

3. I would imagine that any new provider who wanted your business would happily do most of the work for you and happily guide you through stuff like MAC addresses. Just phone them up....sign on the dotted line and let them fret.

4. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

OK, thanks. I'm after a bit of advice here as well. Do these things go smoothly, say, between Orange (old provider) and PlusNet (new one) ?
    What's PlusNet like in your experience?

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

I switched to Tisali and was quite happy with it. Then they were bought out our by TalkTalk and speeds got slower etc. Now they're pushing people to get upgrades.
    One can't help but be cynical. In London we've stuck with BT and things are pretty much OK.

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

No experience of Tiscali or Plus Net. Have you looked online for reviews?
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews92709.html (Plus Net)
    On that website the 'big' provider that gets the best reviews is O2

We've just moved to Aus and I can't get over the cost of broadband here! Its $80+ a month and they want $300 to install. Wish we had some UK companies here! (we were with Virgin and only had minimal problems but over 4 years thought they were pretty good) x

7. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

It's not cheap in many countries: we pay 34€ a month for internet, TV and phone call package.

8. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

If you live in Hull you only get one choice, competition law does not, it seems, exist there!

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A couple of things to watch out for - if you end your contract too soon you might get clobbered for a severence penalty. Also bear in mind that if you mention your plans to leave your current provider they might try to keep your business with a 'loyalty discount'. That's what TalkTalk told me recently anyway.

You don't need your provider to tell you your MAC address, it's available on your computer if you know where to look. See here.

10. I changed from TalkTalk to Plusnet and am really pleased with them. There was a problem with Internet speed at the beginning which they sorted quickly and I had a problem with the connection the other week and that was sorted within 24 hours. Cheap and reliable and the switchover was fine.

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I changed from BT to Plusnet and have found them to be excellent in comparrison. To be frank, when I think back to the hours I've wasted queueing on BT's helpline to get an issue resolved, only to find I'm eventually talking to someone in Mumbai who I can't understand, that isn't surprising.
    I had a minor technical problem when we first switched in that I couldn't set up an email address for my wife. I rang them and was put through to a technical advisor immediately who found the glitch within a minute.
    I was impressed with the sales department not trying to upsell me to a higher spec broadband than I needed. The basic package is usually fine, but if I get close to the limit they send me an email to warn me. It's the streaming video like the iplayer that uses up the juice and I do tend to watch a lot online. I have the choice then of holding back. If I reach the limit they just add on another fiver's worth. They send an email about a week before the direct debit is due saying how much will be taken. What more do you need? Never had a moment so far when the system went down. I'd certainly recommend them.

12. adding my recommendations for plusnet. We went to them after being with aol for years. They have been great. Customer service, wonderful. Call centre, definitely easy to talk to and understand.

13. sesame1

sesame1 New commenter

Thanks to all for your sound advice and recommendations.
    Littlemissraw - I'll investigate O2 and thanks for the reviews site (PlusNet does not fare well but I remember that Orange - my current provider - did not either on those sites when I chose them six years ago, yet I've had no probs, good speed, etc. just a bit expensive).
    Magicsurf - Thanks for the Loyalty discount advice, I tried a year ago, to no avail, I must re-try. Thanks also for the MAC tip, brilliant. You people are so clever!
    I've looked at PlusNet again, I like the sound of their Yorkshire-based operation (easier to understand compared to Orange's staff), but I really don't like the sound of their overuse charge (£5 per extra 5GB). With Orange, I'm limited to 10Gb a month in theory but have used 20Gb in the past and they don't seem to bat an eyelid.
    Also, Plusnet advertise "<u>from</u> &pound;6.50" on their site. When I entered my details, for some reason, it was nearly &pound;12 for me, for a strictly limited 10Gb a month. Hmm, given that I routinely go over the limit (I probably average 12Gb), it would make it more expensive as Orange.
    I'll go back to Orange and try to hammer a good deal! Failing that, I'll consider O2 and maybe a BT package. The strictly-enforced Plusnet usage limits puts me off TBH, shame as they sound like a decent company.