1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing attitudes towards a child with SEN

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by markedout, Mar 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

We have two girls with a statement/EHCP in Reception, both with global delay. One is tolerated by some, included and welcomed by others. The other girl is actively disliked and avoided by a significant group of pupils, and tolerated at best by others. Her behaviour is that of a much younger child and she lacks awareness of the impact of her actions on others. For example, she will destroy things others are building, use toys inappropriately, shout in others' faces, get in the way of their play etc. If they ask her not to do something, she will go ahead and do it anyway. On the carpet she will not sit still, leaning on others, calling out, getting up etc. The teacher often has to pause to remind her to sit nicely. She has picture prompts for the carpet, lining up etc but the child ignores these.

We are dealing with the child's behaviour (she has 1:1 support for a large part of the day) but my concern is how we change the negative attitudes of her peers. They tell her to go away, to shut up, they run away and exclude her from their play. Although I understand their unwillingness to play with her (and there's nothing like 4 year olds for telling it how it is!) we need to address their attitudes.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

2. Madmum4

Madmum4 New commenter

I would be focusing on being different and how we are all different in PSED. Recognising their own strengths and differences and that everyone finds different things hard. Once you make them think about it with some subtle hints you can build on including people to help them get better at things, with lots of positive reinforcement and rewards for children you catch doing it. Also the 1:1 could do dome small group work to build a small circle of more tolerant children in the hope others will pick up on it.

3. AFungFook

AFungFook New commenter

I agree with what Madmum4 has written. Teaching differences and tolerance is important in this situation. Have you been able to identify any "triggers" that bring on negative behaviours? Perhaps for a few days, you or your TA could monitor what happened "before" the behavior, and keep track. You may see patterns and can try to remove those "triggers" or talk with the rest of the class about how they can work together to help her stay calm.
    It seems like this little girl is having issues communicating her wants and needs. I assume developmentally she is also behind the rest of the students so she is reacting by being aggressive. Remember that behavior is a form of communication and she is communicating in what she thinks is an effective and/or appropriate manner. Focus needs to be on what she needs, and NOT how you WANT her to behave.

Some picture books to teach tolerance:

Llama Llama and the Bully Goat, by Anna Dewdney

Little Blue and Little Yellow, by Leo Lionni

The Cow that Went Oink, by Bernard Most

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

From this list, I can quite well see why no-one is keen to play with her! Are there any positive things about her that could be built on?