1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing as you get older

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sam_Bow, Apr 20, 2011.

1. When I was a teenager, like a lot of people I think I saw the world in a very black and white way. I was a judgemental little madam at times about everything from cheating in tests to cheating on partners.
    When I went to uni, my views obviously started to change. I met new people, went through some hard times and generally began to see that there is a lot of grey in the world.
    Now, I'm in my late 20s, and I've been thinking about my life. I feel like nothing about me is the same. This isn't a bad thing in many ways, but at the same time I'm starting to feel like I don't recognise myself anymore.
    It's hard to explain what I mean really. I'm aware that this sounds very hippie-esque and I'm not really on about 'finding myself'. I still know what I do and don't like, but where I used to be firm on my opinions on things, I now find myself doing things I would have been horrified of when I was younger. I think maybe I don't like who I have become...is any of this making sense?
    Maybe I just have too much time on my hands this hol!
    Sam_Bow :)

2. It's called growing up/ growing older - it's natural; we all do it!
    Enjoy it.

3. elisa1

elisa1 New commenter

I'm completely the same....not the same person I was at at in my teens, changed in my late 20's, thought that was it, and now in my late 30's I've changed again, am definitely not the person I thought I was!!!
    I'm much more outgoing, find myself doing things I would have been horrified about when I was younger!!! I also know my own mind, and I'm not afraid to speak it!!! Things that used to scare me to death don't anymore!!!!

Enjoy it!!! I am x

4. Wait until you get to your 50s - it just gets better and better.

5. Seconded.
    Was it Sylvia Plath who wrote of wearing purple and going out in slippers. Been doing that for years.

6. You form your opinions from your experience. As experience grows and widens, so I hope would your opinions! I'm interested in why some people's feelings and opinions mellow whilst others' harden.

7. Yes, me too.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

<font size="3">When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple</font><font size="3">with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.</font><font size="3">And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves</font><font size="3">and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.</font><font size="3">I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired</font><font size="3">and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells</font><font size="3">and run my stick along the public railings</font><font size="3">and make up for the sobriety of my youth.</font><font size="3">I shall go out in my slippers in the rain </font><font size="3">and pick the flowers in other people's gardens</font><font size="3">and learn to spit.</font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat</font><font size="3">and eat three pounds of sausages at a go</font><font size="3">or only bread and pickles for a week</font><font size="3">and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.</font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">But now we must have clothes that keep us dry</font><font size="3">and pay our rent and not swear in the street</font><font size="3">and set a good example for the children.</font><font size="3">We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.</font><font size="3">But maybe I ought to practice a little now?</font><font size="3">So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised</font><font size="3">When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.</font>

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

And again with paragraphs!
    When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
    with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
    and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.
    I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tiredand gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
    and run my stick along the public railings
    and make up for the sobriety of my youth.
    I shall go out in my slippers in the rain and pick the flowers in other people's gardens
    and learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
    and eat three pounds of sausages at a go
    or only bread and pickles for a week
    and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
    and pay our rent and not swear in the street
    and set a good example for the children.
    We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
    But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
    So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
    When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

10. Thanks BBS.
    Got a purple t.shirt on today, not sure I can manage 3lbs of sausages but hey I'm happy to give it a go.
    Now where's my red hat?

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Depends upon your starting point surely. If change is inevitable then wobbly people can only harden up a little, firm people mellow and become a little softer round the edges. We become the inverse of our starting position?

12. I was firm to start with. I have become firmer.
    Not in the flesh, of course. Quite the reverse.

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Just finished reading Margaret Attwood's "Cat's Eye" (fantastic book) and she describes two elderly women on a plane laughing and and giggling like young girls after using the loo and she says how old age is the time when you can give up behaving responsibly because - *** - why ahould you - you've been there and got the T-shirt - only of course she says it much more beautifully than that. Same point as Jenny Joseph really.
    "Cat's Eye" is about the life of a woman who was a bullied child. I have enjoyed it so much - I didn't want it to finish.

14. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I think I'm having my mid-life crisis. I am so aware of my mortality! I never gave it a moment's thought before I nudged 40! (not there yet - quite - hastily points out) But having children was the thing that changed me the most. A friend posted a picture of me as a student on fb last year and it gave me quite a turn. I looked at that girl and thought 'who is she? Look at her, she knows nothing about life, and yet, for her, the world is as yet undiscovered.' It was most bizarre; I almost felt I had nothing in common with her at all.

15. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I wouldn't agree, I was always the "softie" when younger, if anything I've become softer. Not a good thing.xx

16. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I was soft shell hard hearted, now I am more like a rolo.

17. Cut yourself some slack, Sam - dont be hard on yourself.
    Everyone - or most, do the best they can.
    We all have to bend a bit, otherwise we would snap.

18. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

musthavecurlywurly is probably safe from snapping. Is an alenga a toffee based confection? I seem to remember seeing it in a Spanish sweet shop.
    Crisps, they have a hard life.

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Lol [​IMG]

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm not sure i agree either tbh [​IMG]