1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changing application after it's sent

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lottee1000, Jan 4, 2012.

1. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Ok, here's the situation...
    I applied for a job as a subject teacher in my current subject, which would mean taking a step down from my current position as a HoD. However, it was in a country I really want to teach in, and with a school which teaches IB, so I decided to go for it as it would mean more varied experience in a great place. I got an inteview (which is in two weeks time), but, since the offer, the school has now advertised for a Head of Faculty in my area, which would be a step up for me! Do I...
    1)Stick with the subject teacher position as my aim
    2)Apply for the HoF job
    3) wait until the interview and then make it clear that I would be interested in the HoF job as well?
    I'm wavering as I wasn't sure about taking a step down, but I do really want to teach there and very few vacancies come up so should be greatful for any opportunity really...
    Any Heads/recruiters out there want to say what they'd prefer? Any advice? I tried phoning but they're on holidays for another week (lucky things!).

Thanks.

2. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Go to the interview and make it clear that you would be interested in the HoF as well. Heads are flexible in this regard and often will look at a candidate who has applied for the HoF position to fill a regular teaching post - so it can also work the other way round.
    Congratulations on getting the interview btw. Competitive market at the moment.

3. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Ok thanks for the advice, I will do that. Fingers crossed!

4. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Good advice from Syria, but in your place I would be a wee bit more pushy.
    Why not write a brief note to the contact at the school? Explain yourself as clearly as you did above, and ask what, if any, additional information they might require, in support of an application for the grander job. They've called you for inteview, and must have gleaned, with interest, from your CV the fact that you are/were willing to take a small step back in order to join them.

5. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Yep, throw your hat in the ring.