1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changes to GTP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by SGTP86, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I am planning on applying for the GTP at the end of this year, for Sept 2013 start. I briefly had a chat with the GTP co ordinator at the university I currently attend and she said that there are going to be some big changes to the GTP in Sept 2013.
    She said this in a conversation where there was too much going on and I was unable to question what she meant by it.
    Does anyone know of any rumors that may be happening or any predicitions? I know that with HE fees rising the GTP looks like a more attractive option compared with PGCE so it will have more applicants, I guess with the curriculum changes coming the structure of the GTP may change?
    I read TES and recieve some daily education e-mails, but I haven't seen much on the GTP as of late. Anyone else?
    Thanks
    -S

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

The funding to schools to pay GTP trainees from is apparently going to be cut. For us, it means that, although we had intended to, we probably won't be running the GTP. We can't afford to fund it.

3. So, that means that if a school isn't prepared to pay you a wage they probably won't be able to afford to have you?
    Eek!

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The whole of ITT is up in the air as the Gove plans to push ahead with the teaching schools initiative and move training of teachers into these "august institutions". It has always been assumed this would mean more GTP but as GTP is more expensive than PGCE then it is not certain that the funding will support the scope of the development i.e not enough money.At the moment universities are having to horse trade PGCE places to keep subject areas like Business and PE going and in most areas the coverage of teaching schools does not compensate for the loss of ITT. Overall it is a mess!

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

In our case, yes. We run an ITE programme very sucessfully, and will continue to do so, but there is unlikely to be any GTP as long as the funding scenario holds. There's just no cash.

6. I may be wrong, and am happy to be corrected if that's the case, but I think that a lot will depend on your subject/phase. National and local demand will drive what places are available. This has, of course, always been the case, but is likely to be even more evident given the increased costs of the GTP to a school/LEA.

7. Check out the TDA there's info on there. Fees for GPT might be in, skills test are changing! Good luck.

8. At a recent uni information meeting we were told that there would be a shift towards the GTP being available to those making a high quality career change ie not straight from uni however the criteria was not yet defined. Guess its a case of watch this space :-/

9. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

That may be so but I'd like to consider myself as being an individual making a "high quality career change" and there are still no GTPs available in my subject in my area. 2 big providers just aren't running them this year.
    I may be a good candidate but I just don't live in the right place and at my age waiting and watching isn't an option

10. I agree, having taken several years out to work before returning to university and then deciding to go into primary school. I will be applying during my last year of university for the following September. I'm hoping that I will be looked on favourably having spent a year working as a TA in a school, completing my L3 Forest Schools training and coming from an outdoor education background!!!

Fingers crossed!

11. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The GTP in itself is also not acceptable in many overseas countries which is why the option of PGCE should also be considered alongside the GTP . There is likely to be quite a shortfall of GTP places this year as ITT is in something of a turmoil at present.

12. Yes, I'm well aware of the GTP not being applicable overseas, something that doesn't bother me much at the moment!
    Spoke to another member of the university associated with Primary teaching, she said that it is set to change and they would like to encourage people who have had careers in other sectors to apply. Which doesn't bode well for me!