1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changes to career education in the light of the white paper

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by steveglover, Mar 15, 2011.

1. steveglover

steveglover New commenter

I think the TES forums should include a separate section of CEIAG - what do you think? I'm going to email them - the is a lot of weird and wonderful stuff on so it shouldn't be a problem.

2. I recently attended an IAGS conference, we were given a presentation 'Careers education and IAG: changes in national policy: implications for local practice. I don't think I can get this on here but we were also give a summary sheet.
    EDUCATION BILL
    (Published 26 January 2011)
    Summary of legislative changes to careers education and guidance
    The Government proposes the following changes to the statutory duties in England:
    - A new duty to secure independent careers guidance for all pupils in year 9 to 11.
    In this context 'independent' is defined as:
    • impartial
    • including information on options available in 16-19 education or training, including apprenticeships
    • promoting the best interests of pupils
    • provided by persons other than those employed at the school
    The new duty will apply to all maintained secondary schools, including special schools and PRUs. Ministers expect that it will be applied to academies through their Funding Arrangements with the DfE.
    - Repeal of the duty on schools to provide pupils with programmes of careers education.
    BUT it is reported that Ministers will still expect schools to provide careers education.
    - Repeal of the duty on schools and colleges to provide careers advisers with access to pupils and students, and with information on pupils and students.
    BUT it is reported that Ministers would expect these arrangements to be agreed during negotiations of the contract between a school and its external provider of careers guidance.
    - Repeal of the duty on schools, but not colleges, to provide pupils with careers information.
    It is understood that this is seen as being covered by the definition of independent careers guidance in the new duty to secure such guidance for pupils.

Not sure if that's any use!

3. Maybe being daft here, but who do you email and did you?

4. steveglover

steveglover New commenter

I did and they ignored me as they did about diplomas when they were the thing.

5. Do you know if schools still have to offer a 'work experience' week to KS4 students?