1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changes to author tiers from December 1st

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by tesAuthorTeam, Nov 2, 2018.

1. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

True but with better titles, descriptions and cover images an author can quickly raise through the ranks in the search results without ever promoting their resource outside of TES. It takes no more time to write a decent title and description when it is initially being uploaded than to does to write a poor one. Another couple of minutes to create a decent cover image.

It does not take long but it seems too many authors either don't know how to do it or they are choosing that it is too much effort. If they don't put the effort into the title, description and cover image it will not make the customers think they have put much effort into the resource itself and will certainly not want to buy it.

Hopefully the Author Academy will help with this.

It really is not necessary to spend all day promoting your resources with marketing gimmicks etc, some do I know, but I really would prefer to spend my time on other things so I don't do much promotion. If anyone is interested in how to create lovely cover image you can create them for free using https://www.canva.com

Mrsmumbles and nicadez like this.
  2. MosaiK

MosaiK Occasional commenter

... just beware of the restrictions with regards commercial use and commercial solicitation as mentioned in this website's terms and conditions... it may be free, but there are a lot of 'buts' ;)

3. rainynightmusic

rainynightmusic New commenter

The thing is @nwilkin I have complained about word searches and the like myself, but not because I don't think they have a place in the learning process. As a 10-year Head of Music, I know for a fact that when you combine puzzles relating to key words, they definitely solidify knowledge in the student brain. It is the value that one places on a single word search or crossword. They are not worth £2, they are worth about 25p at the most if they are presented well. Six of my own resources contain around 30 puzzles and activities in each of the six, and they are modeled around the core terminology of GCSE Music from all syllabuses. I sell each pack for about £6, and it's all available in a bundle where folk can buy 170+ activities based on GCSE Music terminology. There are some authors who would have (and from what I have seen actually have) sold each of those 170+ activities for a couple of quid each. Most of my resources are fully resourced lessons with worksheets, powerpoints, answer sheets, and the like, but my puzzles definitely are a complete teaching system for vocab for my subject. Again, it's the value one places on them. I would not have dreamed of turning them into 170 separate resources. I have lessons with 3 or 4 different worksheets - I have seen some who would make them 4 resources. Then another resource of just a powerpoint. Then again - it is about the value of that powerpoint or worksheet. 50p? Maybe. But not £1 or £1.50 or £2. Prices can go up if it is to do with a set study or set work - or if it is A Level as opposed to KS3, I guess.

However, whilst I agree with you on the need to clear out the rubbish for want of a better phrase, I do respectfully completely disagree with you in your philosophy that if a person's resources are good they will get views. If the medium does not prioritise your content, or even necessarily allow for a fair shot at putting your resource in front of people's faces, then you will not get views, however good the quality is. I hope you won't mind the fact that I took a look at your shop and followed a couple of links that took me to a YouTube video that I watched and found very informative and good quality. Not easy to establish yourself with views despite good content though is it? That's how we feel on here. If you search Rainy Night Music on Youtube, you'll see what else I do as well so, I wish you well with it all - and maybe I'll subscribe to your channel to learn more about computers. :) I think I need to. They are not my strong point so thank you for putting the content out there.

Mrsmumbles and nwilkin like this.
  4. nwilkin

LOL - Thanks @rainynightmusic it's a bit nerve wracking putting yourself out on video and trying something that breaks away from the normal narrated PowerPoint style teaching videos I see too many of on YouTube. They have gone down well so far. I uploaded those videos just over a month ago and was quite chuffed that within a couple of days I got 59 subscribers and a few hundred views but must admit I have been working on a large commission for a client and so have not been able to do anything more with it for a few weeks. Hoping to get back to it soon. I would not for a moment expect to be competing with the main YouTubebers straight away but hoping that maybe one day I'll manage to get a good following. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I do know exactly what people feel like when starting out on a new venture but would never give up just because there are already some established people doing it, if anything it shows what I could potentially achieve and I think it is very much like that with TES.

There is a small group who feel disgruntled at the moment but there is no reason why they should just give up and even worse try to encourage others to give up. I wish some of the people I knew who have some lovely positive stories about TES and moving up from Bronze to Gold would say something but totally understand they do not want to.

kghaye likes this.
  5. extra golden-time

extra golden-time New commenter

How do you know it is a small group? Do you have access to information not available here?

heelis likes this.
  6. extra golden-time

Are you sure? Your introduction to scratch to unit (which is great!) contains word searches. Glass houses and all that.

heelis likes this.
  7. nwilkin

You are allowed to use the images created on Canva for commercial use however I agree you are not allowed to use them for spam, impersonating another person, conducting fraud, to discriminate against somebodies race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, ancestry or national origin and there are other terms. So you are right to point out there are terms and conditions as on most websites. Thank you for that. :)

8. nwilkin

That is an entire 6 week SoW work and not a single word search. Maybe I need to work on my descriptions a bit more if you were under the impression it was a single word search. After all I have had over half a million downloads of that resource, I would not want them all to be disappointed it was not only a single page word search.

kghaye and extra golden-time like this.
  9. nwilkin

extra golden-time likes this.
  10. extra golden-time

Oh - thanks for clearing that up. I'll make a mental note. Word searches - okay as part of a scheme, but not okay on their own.

I wouldn't use one anyway - waste of time really.

heelis and nwilkin like this.
  11. rainynightmusic

Hmmm. Your sarcasm speaks volumes.

extra golden-time and nwilkin like this.
  12. rainynightmusic

Videos are great. I make videos a lot with Camtasia. I would recommend that software, even if it is a bit expensive.

nwilkin likes this.
  13. nwilkin

I have used Filmora, also not free but I like it as does lots of "twiddly bits" :)

MosaiK and rainynightmusic like this.
  14. extra golden-time

Guilty! I must admit I've been getting a bit hot and bothered about this new reward structure and I did feel (and still do!) that earlier @nwilkin misrepresented my views quite recklessly. However, no hard feelings to anyone. I know we're all on the same side really - to produce great resources, have a good site to host them and have a fair deal on them. @nwilkin I like your computing stuff - I lead it at my school so will give some of your materials a go. Best of luck to you all.

heelis, rainynightmusic and nwilkin like this.
  15. rainynightmusic

Yes. I agree. If you look at my post, I was the one who stuck up for you, and if you look at nwilkin's reply she immediately said she'd made a mistake, so it's all cool. Yes, we certainly are all on the same side. :)

nwilkin and extra golden-time like this.
  16. extra golden-time

One of the dangers of any type of online posting (like texting) is that it is not always easy to infer the correct meaning. I certainly read that 'my mistake' comment as sarcasm. Still does read that way to me. After all, who would argue that posting endless low quality resources was a good idea? I think I'll step out of this now, but my parting shot is that the £6000 target is too high for many of us. On that, I doubt I'll be swayed!

labellaroma and rainynightmusic like this.
  17. labellaroma

labellaroma Occasional commenter

I agree with you 100%. It's an outrageous amount for those of us who are not lucky enough to be in the group of top earners here on Tes. :(:(:(

18. rainynightmusic

You certainly won't get any argument from me about the £6000 figure. I have grave concerns for how this will pan out for non-gold authors, despite what TES say. I just don't know why they didn't limit the number of resources people could upload. Say - give everyone 20 uploads, and then let them earn the right to a further 5 uploads for every £50 or £100 of sales they make. Those extra uploads would be permanent.

It would stop the sort of nonsense that I've just seen yet again on the front page of TES: a worksheet for £1.50 about Remembrance Sunday. The author proudly announces that the information came from 'the internet'... but they thought up the 15 questions... but haven't provided any answers. It's that sort of thing that winds me up. An admission of plagiarism. 15 lazy questions. No answers. That'll be £1.50 please. If there were an upload limit, you wouldn't use up a slot with such dross would you? Well, I wouldn't. Even if they did, it would be limited to a maximum of 20.

Drives me mad.

19. MosaiK

MosaiK Occasional commenter

Also on the front page of the resource section is a banner/advert for a teacher-run sale that starts 6 Nov... Could anybody enlighten me on how to join, please? :confused: Is it just a matter of arranging a sale through my shop or is it one of those events where I go for, say, 10% and TES add 5%? How did I miss this? I am confused as did not receive an email about this, nor did I see a banner in the author section. Thank you in advance for any info. :)

20. rainynightmusic

Normally those sales just happen, @MosaiK . You don't have to do anything - you'll just notice in your shop on those days that all your products say 'sale'. You still make the same as you would normally because it's a TES sale. If you do your own sale, you don't make as much. I'd contact the online chat team for the banners - I have to say I never ever get notified of sales that they are running, but as I am only very recently trying to use social media, I haven't really needed banners as such. Good luck with the sale.

heelis and MosaiK like this.