1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changes to author tiers from December 1st

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by tesAuthorTeam, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Nik_Bernaz

Nik_Bernaz New commenter

What he said. ;)

This thread is about TES offering better quality, better visibility and better income for its publishers.
    It's not quite happening now, is it?

2. vcurrie19

vcurrie19 New commenter

^ Agreed. Felt the sting today when my £3 resource, which would usually earn me £1.88 only earned £1.50, with £1.00 of that going straight to TES...

Nik_Bernaz and Mrsmumbles like this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I’m uploading to *** as well and looking carefully at sifting others for Teachit.
    It wasn’t as if we were ever earning on the levels of Walter White, was it? Bah.

Nik_Bernaz likes this.
  4. iandoublem

iandoublem New commenter

I sell a resource for £1-a token gesture really, and it now earns me just 30p per sale. So I lose 70% of the sale. It's outrageous.

Mrsmumbles and Nik_Bernaz like this.
  5. vcurrie19

vcurrie19 New commenter

Not even really worth uploading at that point is it? I'll be slowly removing my things in the new year. It's a shame.

Nik_Bernaz likes this.
  6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

If this is a supposition that I am blowswind, I think it's only fair to point out that I am not.

7. Nik_Bernaz

Nik_Bernaz New commenter

So where are all the great things that we were promised as a result of "the cut" ?

I uploaded a resource yesterday, called:

AQA French A-Levels Cultural Understanding Assisted Reading Guide - Covers the 4 prescribed themes

You'd think that a quick search with the terms " French A-Levels cultural " would show my worksheet, but it does not.
    Instead, you get resources like "Halloween et Toussaint en France- GCSE and A-Level French"
    These do not even include the term "cultural". Like my resources, they have yet to receive feedback, so this is not what is pushing them up the search results.

Like other parts of this site, it looks like there are serious caching issues. It looks like everything here comes from a cached version:

- This is why new items or updates need a lot of time to propagate correctly to your shop. Change the price of one item, and you'll see what I mean.
    - This is why the stats on the dashboard seem to update in bursts sometimes.
    - This is why I got a badge saying 2 next to my name and it won't go away no matter what I do.

The results for us sellers is that our resources are still invisible despite the promises. The out-of-date rubbish is still here, and the website does not work the way it's supposed to do.

Why spend tens of hours producing some remarkable work and upload it to a place where nobody will EVER see it ?

MosaiK likes this.
  8. MosaiK

MosaiK Occasional commenter

Oh thank you so much for pointing this out. I have noticed that this has worsened since about the beginning of November.
    My most recent publication is entitled
    Christmas Assembly, Advent + Quiz on 'Advent and Christmas in Austria etc...'. I thought that putting the words 'Christmas Assembly' near the beginning of the title might enable prospective buyers to find this. However, each time I search for it, it seems no nearer the 'top' of the list than before. Today I found it on page 10 of 69, when I searched for 'Christmas Assembly'. There is was, nicely lodged between 'Fine Motor Skills' and 'Sleeping Beauty'. Neither of the latter are relevant to the theme of 'Christmas Assembly'... so why not updating the search function and help us find what we are actually looking for?
    Not to mention the many assemblies I came across on pages 1-10 which may well be in breech of copyright... :(
    I am beginning to think that TES may have a button they can press which stops certain authors from ever making it to the first pages. o_O:rolleyes: Surely not! ;)
    The old system that would show smaller covers albeit more suggestions in search results made it easier for people to search fast and made it better for more resources to get nearer the top...
    Luckily for me this resource is selling elsewhere, so I don't need to worry about never selling it. :cool: However, it would be nice to have some recognition for my work on TES too.
    :)

Nik_Bernaz likes this.
  9. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

[QUOTE="MosaiK, post: 12685507,
    My most recent publication is entitled
    Christmas Assembly, Advent + Quiz on 'Advent and Christmas in Austria etc...'.
    :)
    [/QUOTE]
    I know the search algorithm recently changed to penalise titles that are keyword stuffing so maybe having Christmas and Advent in there twice is counting against you. Try simplifying the title to avoid duplicating words, it may help. The reason it was changed was to stop people from calling their resources "Maths, maths, maths" etc. and it maybe that by duplicating two words in your title it is getting flagged up as keyword stuffing.

MosaiK and LikeAnExpert like this.
  10. Nik_Bernaz

Nik_Bernaz New commenter

That's a nice way to say that the search is totally broken here.
    AQA French A-Levels Cultural Understanding Assisted Reading Guide - Covers the 4 prescribed themes
    Keyword stuffing ? I think not.

MosaiK likes this.
  11. nwilkin

Clearly I was referring to another title which had duplicate words as keyword stuffing and I don't think the search is broken at all. People just need to think carefully about their titles and not try to use them as an over complicated description.

With your title you use 13 words and only put the must important one a third of the way through which is probably why it is not appearing high in the rankings. You are using 12 other words to compete with "Cultural" which is why the search is not working as you expect. If somebody was to type in "AQA French A-Levels Cultural Understanding Assisted Reading Guide - Covers the 4 prescribed themes" in the search bar then your resource would be at the top, however the chances of teachers actually typing that in must be next to impossible. Your title is not going to produce effective search results as it is overly complicated and in an order which does not put your key words first. Use a simple title that teachers are likely to type in and use the description to add more detail.

12. MosaiK

I know the search algorithm recently changed to penalise titles that are keyword stuffing so maybe having Christmas and Advent in there twice is counting against you. Try simplifying the title to avoid duplicating words, it may help. The reason it was changed was to stop people from calling their resources "Maths, maths, maths" etc. and it maybe that by duplicating two words in your title it is getting flagged up as keyword stuffing.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll try that, hopefully it'll make a difference.
    ;)

nwilkin likes this.
  13. nwilkin

I would try something as simple as "Christmas Assembly and Quiz" as the + symbol and other punctuation seems to also reduce place in rankings. Good luck. Hope it helps.

MosaiK likes this.
  14. MosaiK

Thank you. Do you know if the search algorithm is set to search the description too? I am trying to work out where else I can include prospective search words.
    As for the + sign, I have been using this to reduce the amount of characters I use, but guess will need to rethink.
    o_O

nwilkin likes this.
  15. nwilkin

I believe it searches the first paragraph so that is where I put all the extra key words such as exam board etc. Have a look at some of my resource descriptions if you want ideas of how I create titles and descriptions. I know it is a different subject area but the formula should work. Have a look at https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/cyber-security-11867523. I use a short title teachers are likely to type in but main blurb (ie specification) in description.

This is just my workings out from experimenting, I have not had any guidance from TES on this but my stuff is often on the first page so it is working for me.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    MosaiK likes this.
  16. MosaiK

I shortened the title before you told me about the + sign, so despite the + sign, this resource is now showing on page 2 of the 'Christmas Assembly' search in resources. This is a significant improvement.
    I will try without the + sign too though to see if that makes even more of a difference. Thank you. :D

nwilkin likes this.
  17. Nik_Bernaz

Nik_Bernaz New commenter

I changed mine to "French".
    Now I come first of every search.

18. nwilkin

Woo hooooo, happy to help.

If you are in London on 26th Jan it is worth coming along to the Authors train Authors event as you will pick up lots of tips. I am one of the speakers but there are two others who can help with social media etc.

19. MosaiK

Ok, thank you. Chances are I won't be in London on the 26th so I am unlikely to attend. I avoid London where I can and I try to keep weekends for leisure, not work. But thanks anyway. :)

P.S.: Sadly removing the + sign made no further difference, so I guess it will be ok to continue using it. My resource is still in the same place on page 2 of the search.

nwilkin likes this.
  20. Nik_Bernaz

Nik_Bernaz New commenter

Of course it does not.

So this is how search does not work on this site.

1. If you put a proper, full description with all the right meta keywords, then you won't even be able to find your own work.

2. If you put a ridiculously short title like "French", your results appear on page 10, together with the other 5 smart people who also decided to call their work "French". This means that the search for two similar terms returns what is expected, ie all the pages that are just called "French" - but after displaying 200 other "More relevant" results that include "Colouring Tulips by Number in French"

3. Have you noticed how you cannot press the Search button twice ? You can but all it does is to refresh the page. As I said before, a lot of content here seems to be cached (badly). If you type "French French", you would expect a short delay for the search but there is none. The page is instantly available. Which means that the search did not take place.

TES, get 1. to work. We don't ask for much more.
    You are taking 50% of my income, so stop pushing some Halloween worksheets before mine when I type 4 out of 5 words of my resource description.

MosaiK and vcurrie19 like this.