1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changes to author payment system

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by tesAuthorTeam, May 14, 2019.

1. Psymarie8

Psymarie8 New commenter

PayPal transfers money to your bank account instantly and doesn't require ID in order to do it. Why does stripe need ID for receiving money then?

2. Elsasupport

Elsasupport New commenter

I emailed 2 days ago and am still awaiting an answer. I don't even want to put my DOB in never mind uploading sensitive ID documents online. You have my bank details, YOU asked me to open a shop on here. Been doing so for several years now. I would like to stay with the old payment system please. I was perfectly happy with it.

3. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

I use Stripe for my business website and they have not required ID documents from me yet but I know PayPal did required me to do so after a while as I went over some threshold. PayPal needed me to upload my passport before I could withdraw anything, even though payments were still being paid into my PayPal account. It is to stop money laundering so I was happy to comply. It seems I have just not reached that level on my personal Stripe account yet to have been asked for those details, :) but I have only been with for them less than a year, so not surprising really.

As Stripe are dealing with TES they are going to be dealing with much larger sums immediately so will be goining over those thresholds much sooner. From reading the Stripe website they can either collect these documents up front or later and it lays out pros and cons for both. https://stripe.com/docs/connect/identity-verification. I am guessing TES took the decision to get it out of the way now rather than in a couple of weeks time, which seems like a sensible decision to me.

I don't mind uploading my ID and think the move to Stripe is a good thing. Hopefully this will lead to other innovations such as the basket many of us have been asking for and it may even dissuade those that set up their shops to steal others work, from doing so.

I know people are worried about identity theft, but Stripe is a large company and they will only keep the documents for the time it takes to verify the account and then, legally, they will have to delete them anyway.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  4. oignon

oignon New commenter

I was never asked to upload documents on paypal...
    Not all of us make large sums on Tes, why someone would accept to upload their id for the silly amount of, let's say, 100pounds/year?

5. ajs12345

ajs12345 New commenter

The cynic in me says that this is just another cost saving measure, not really about improving safety and preventing copyright fraud...

I presume this new automated system will mean that we can withdraw more often than once a week if we so wish?

mathsmutt and tchristin like this.
  6. ajs12345

ajs12345 New commenter

I applaud your optimism but think that a lot of frustration is stemming from the fact that this is yet another ‘improvement’ no one asked for. Meanwhile basket features, improved quality control, an improved ratings system, fairer and better search algorithms, all go begging.

7. nwilkin

I was not implying it was due to your individual total but the total TES will be putting through Stripe but money laundering rules means they need to show all their accounts are genuine. It would be terrible if it was one rule for some and another rule for someone else.

8. nwilkin

Thank you :) as I say I understand the frustrations but the basket and being able to offer 3 for 2 deals etc is something they have said they can not technically do on their old system so by going over to Stripe means that should be possible.

I think in the past some authors have had the luxury of annamnomity that TES afforded and have taken advantage. Most of us have probably seen the temporary accounts set up selling fake college degrees, little blue tablets etc. This system should dissuade those users.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    MosaiK likes this.
  9. Elsasupport

I wouldn't mind uploading documents TO Stripe just not happy uploading them to TES for them to pass on. Seems one step too many for my liking. More steps where things can go wrong. Anyway I will hopefully receive a reply to my email today. I won't be uploading anything until I have a reply that I am happy with.

vcurrie19 and labellaroma like this.
  10. nwilkin

When you upload them you do it to Stripe not TES.

11. Elsasupport

I haven't gotten past the DOB screen yet. I want to know why they want that. I can't look any further without filling that in. I tried!
    That is interesting to know though.

nwilkin likes this.
  12. nwilkin

I would imagine the DoB is because children cannot be asked for photo ID or something like that. There have been instances of school pupils uploading their course notes, so maybe they are trying to dissuade that.

13. Elsasupport

I don't mind as long as I know why. It doesn't say. I just need them to tell me why and I am still waiting.

hoppytimes and nwilkin like this.
  14. penyrheol1

penyrheol1 New commenter

I don't have a passport or a photo driving licence. Do I remove my resources from the website now or do i wait for a reply to my email from TES which I sent two days ago????

mathsmutt likes this.
  15. nwilkin

Have you looked at the alternative IDs? Somebody posted about it earlier.

16. penyrheol1

penyrheol1 New commenter

Thank you. Will do. I hadn't seen it.

nwilkin likes this.
  17. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

Tes! Will this affect transaction fees for the better? As surely using Stripe you guys won't have such a hefty bill for each transaction? (she says with her fingers crossed....)

mathsmutt and ajs12345 like this.
  18. Psymarie8

Psymarie8 New commenter

Did you get an answer on this?

19. oignon

oignon New commenter

I 've been sent an email from TES that was a copy of the infrormation already available on the website. Not very helpful I must say...
    Does anyone now what country is considered as "my country" ? The country you live or the country of your back account? The country I live now and where all may ID documents come from is not on the list attached to the email...:confused:

mathsmutt likes this.
  20. Elsasupport

I sent an email 4 days ago and am still waiting for a reply. I want to know why YOU need my DOB? Please could someone give me an answer? I don't mind being directed to the STRIPE site and inputting any information needed but I don't want to do that on the TES site. Please can someone reply to my email.

mathsmutt likes this.