1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changes to author payment system

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by tesAuthorTeam, May 14, 2019.

1. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

We are introducing a new payment system for authors on Tes resources. This will require no action until your dashboard or withdrawal asks you for more information.

You can read the blog announcement and FAQs here.

nwilkin likes this.
  2. tchristin

tchristin New commenter

I absolutely hate the fact that I have to upload an ID like my passport. Such important documents have been leaked in the past and so much damage can be done if mean people have access to this information. I am seriously considering closing my shop. This is so unfair. I am so disappointed.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  3. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

If we already use stripe as a payment gateway will we still need to upload documents?

4. labellaroma

labellaroma Occasional commenter

Following a phone call conversation with TES today regarding the changes to the payment system I have been told that to confirm our identity we will have to either upload a driving licence or our passport. I do not drive and am more than reluctant to disclose my passport details online for obvious reasons. I have been told to send a email to help@tes.com to see what they say. I am waiting to hear from them. I have been uploading premium resources from day one, which was back in February 2015. TES actually contacted me in December 2014 to see if I was interested in selling my resources. I have spoken with many employees of TES over the years and I consider myself to be a loyal contributor so am somewhat saddened by this new ruling...

5. ajs12345

ajs12345 New commenter

Further to the blog post, I can see how the new payment system will increase efficiency your end (though I've never noticed many issued in terms of prompt payment from my own experience). However, I must echo the concerns of others regarding the uploading of documentation such as passports/driving licences. Why is this level of personal data required? In most marketplaces address and bank details is a perfectly sufficient level of data to identify someone. I never really felt that the platform was unsafe in that regard?

Furthermore, how accurate is this automated system? Has it been fully tested? Considering how quickly it's all being rolled out it seems a bit rushed to me.

iandoublem, oignon, tchristin and 2 others like this.
  6. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

What happens to balances under £10 that can't be withdrawn, if a shop is closed ?

Why is there a £10 limit - Amazon pay far less on a monthly basis without issues.

7. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  8. Psymarie8

Psymarie8 New commenter

I'm really not comfortable uploading ID to the website. A bank account number with name etc should be enough to recieve money.

9. labellaroma

I totally agree.

10. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

Yes it seems so. I use Stripe on my website and it asked me to upload ID.

11. oignon

oignon New commenter

Μe too, I wouldn't like to upload important id documents online on third party website. I have no problem waiting a few days for my money when I withdraw with the existing system, do we have the choice to remain with the old one? Not to mention that my country is not on the Stripe list...

labellaroma, tchristin and mathsmutt like this.
  12. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

We appreciate your concerns with the security of data and can assure you that Tes will not hold any of the documents at any time. These documents are submitted directly to the payment company, Stripe, who are used by a wide range of over 4000 trusted companies around the world including Amazon, Uber, Deliveroo, Adidas, Comic Relief, Oxfam, Booking.com and National Geographic to name just a few.

Stripe assure you of their credentials and handling of sensitive information here. The new requirement for ID is not imposed by Tes but by Stripe. This is intended to improve financial security for all users.

nwilkin and mrajlong like this.
  13. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

@tesAuthorTeam
    Could you please confirm that the £10 minimum is a commercial decision by TES:

Minimum payout amounts
    For most Stripe users, there is no minimum payout amount. However, there are a some exceptions:
    • EUR bank accounts have a minimum payout of 1.00 EUR
    • GBP bank accounts have a minimum payout of 1.00 GBP
    • CHF bank accounts have a minimum payout of 5.00 CHF
    • NOK, DKK, and SEK bank accounts have a minimum payout of 20.00kr
    • MXN bank accounts have a minimum payout of 10.00 MXN
    If your available account balance is less than the minimum payout amount, it remains in your Stripe account until your balance increases.

https://stripe.com/docs/payouts

astarlevels and vcurrie19 like this.
  14. labellaroma

I would like to know why TES are making so many changes to the site which clearly are upsetting and making lots of people unhappy, i.e. Changing loyalty levels and now introducing the move to 'Stripe'. What was wrong with the way you processed our withdrawals. I always received payment within 3 days, so I don't understand the reason for anything to change.

15. Psymarie8

Psymarie8 New commenter

Why do they need ID for us receiving money? I don't understand what the purpose of then having ID would be.

tchristin and labellaroma like this.
  16. tchristin

tchristin New commenter

Tes will not hold any of the documents but Stripe will. Just recently WhatsApp had a leak, Facebook a couple of weeks ago, I've seen Paypal accounts being hacked before... other companies that solicited such ID documents like Transferwise can be easily hacked since all they need to access such info is not that hard to get. I've seen it! I do not think TES is going to back down in this matter. Money is all that matters from what I can see. Firstly, changing loyalty levels giving preference to income instead of resources uploaded and now this. These last changes are really disappointing and more business-friendly than teacher-friendly. Could you please confirm when will it be the last day you will be making the old withdraws? I would like to have a massive sale before I close the shop. Thanks in advance!

Most of the companies mentioned above do not bring any confidence to this matter. Amazon treats its employees like ****, Uber... many bad stories about them, Deliveroo same story about how poorly they treat their employees, Adidas? Child labour scandals and so on and so forth. One thing is using technology to improve something and another taking advantage of holding people's data. I wonder what TES is gaining with this change.

mathsmutt and oignon like this.
  17. tchristin

tchristin New commenter

That is an interesting question. When it is about moving money banks need ID to justify those money movements. Legal, tax resons...

18. vcurrie19

vcurrie19 New commenter

I'd like to echo the concerns from people above me regarding uploading sensitive documents to the site in order to access payment. Furthermore, I'd also like confirmation that the minimum £10 withdraw amount is purely a commercial decision, as Stripe doesn't require such a high minimum when using their services directly.

19. tchristin

tchristin New commenter

mathsmutt likes this.
  20. tchristin

tchristin New commenter

It would make sense if with this info TES could avoid those past cases of random people selling someone else's resources (they had stolen) and the real authors could receive the money that was instead sent to thieves. But Tes will not hold any of the documents so... can TES actually recover the money and identify the thieves with the help of Stripe?

mathsmutt and ajs12345 like this.