1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changes in the law expected....

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by afterdark, Jul 19, 2018.

1. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

The recent High Court ruling on the Cliff Richard case

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44871799

gives me a little hope for teachers still working in the UK where malicious accusations abound

"
    Today's judgement is very significant.

The judge found it was not merely the BBC's use of helicopter pictures which breached Sir Cliff's right to privacy. The simple naming of Sir Cliff as a suspect in the police investigation amounted to a breach of his privacy.

It means, going forward, people who are suspects in police investigations, save in exceptional circumstances, are entitled to reasonably expect the matter is kept private and not covered by the media." Quote

The article goes on to whine about freedom of the press. But the crux of the matter is that the press should not be reporting until after the person is charged.

ATfan likes this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

This is interesting because I asked myself the same thing when I heard this news.
    Yes, it will make many people's lives easier because privacy laws are so fluid and derived from precedent-this case is a high profile precedent which hinges on the notion of "Public Interest" as well as "privacy." The juxtaposition of the two were central to the whole case. "Privacy" won.
    However, I cannot conclude the same as you. You don't mention the Public Interest element in your post, and let's be honest, the public interest in a has-been high profiling singer and actor is based on salacious tabloidism about somebody who has little impact on our daily existence.
    But the Public Interest in a professional who is paid for out of your taxes to care for and educate your own child and represent the moral good in a huge institution just down the road-well, I believe any judge would rate that level of Public Interest as "Imperative". These would actually be the "exceptional circumstances" which you mention.
    So no-you cannot actually wrest that many parallels with The Cliff Compo Case and The Teacher Who Called Their Union In Tears.
    Sadly.

nomad likes this.