1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changes in Teaching Science

Discussion in 'Science' started by Newstein, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

I started studying science when the only teaching method was chalk talk and dictation. And caning was the standard punishment.
    Started from imperial units then moved to cgs then mks, now SI.
    I retired early 8 years ago, and get invitations from schools to teach Physics.
    I have learned and used all technology, and still use them.
    I know students’ average attention span is less than 5 mins these days.
    My question is how does the science teacher of today interact with the students more effectively and plan and teach a lesson with least disruption?
    Are you an entertaining teacher who puts exams out of the equation, and keep students busy all the time ‘doing things’?
    Then how do you make them learn things for exams?
    Or are you an academic teacher who teaches to get students pass exams?
    Or are you that teacher who could balance both?
    How do you do it?
    Let us know the secret!

2. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

No secret I think it’s down to school and individual teachers.

Personally I’m a bit of both, I wanted my students to be able to problem solve for themselves and enjoy their subjects however was very mindful of constant testing getting ready for end of topic or year tests in ks3.

My lessons were mainly theory with practicals in between or abit of both depending on what practical and time.

I used AV and interactive computer and all kinds of teaching techniques.

Most of students always enjoyed coming to lesson because I am high energy myself so bounce around and get everyone excited about what’s going on!

I no longer teach in school but still tutor science 1-1 now which is very different but just as fun.

3. rehaank

rehaank Occasional commenter

I'm pretty strict but equally as sarcastic, energetic and hilarious (I think) and rightfully assertive ensuring all work is done. At the higher end/sixth form this is easier as they've chosen to do this but at the lower end it's a bit more trickier to navigate.

As for delivery of work and teaching, that depends on what we're doing but I ensure they are engaged 100% through constant questioning (literally putting them on the spot), experiments, visual learning aids, "fun" activities e.g. model the sliding filament theory using play doh or writing on the desks about the photoelectric effect and other very engaging but key techniques to ensure knowledge is consolidated.

But, I focus strongly on exams, techniques and all students know this what they are working towards - but I will never have a lesson of me standing and dictating and will make sure everyone student HAS learnt something from the lesson and ensured that they have found this engaging.

4. 1pennyQ

1pennyQ New commenter

I like rehaank's ideas of experiments, visual learning, and "fun" activities. I think there are a lot of topics that you can incorporate fun little experiments that teach the kids, but hold their attention and require engagement.

I was just reading an article that came out today about the weather and some fun science topics that could be taught in an engaging way. They recommended a weather station, which I thought was an interesting idea to try. Here's the article.

if you look hard enough, you can find free lesson plans around the web that share topics that include opportunities for "fun" with the students just like mentioned above. They aren't always easy to find, but they are out there.

No matter how much fun you have in the classroom, you still must have exams to make sure they are learning. Paying attention and engaging doesn't always mean learning. You have to have a way to find out if they are retaining the information you're giving them. I like strict on exams, but fun and energetic whenever possible.

5. isaac-moore

isaac-moore New commenter

Learning stations is the most engaging way to ensure there is effective teaching and learning. Learning stations allow for collaborative learning. They are based on increasing challenge using Bloom's. The assessments to move to next higher order learning stations are past exam questions. This way, you are getting students used to the language and structure of exam questions.

There is more detail if you want more.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I was always a practical type teacher who tried to keep the theory lessons to a minimum. However it depends on the class. These days I am on supply and so don't get so much opportunity for practical. I have just finished an 8 week stint at a school. I did try practicals there but had to give up when classes would dismantle calculators, stamp on stop watches and generally cause mayhem once allowed out of their seats. This was a mainstream school in a leafy suburb!

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I thought Blooms was Out

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Did anyone tell his wife?

9. isaac-moore

isaac-moore New commenter

He is never out!

10. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Wife? If he's out it's more likely his husband.