1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changes in school year

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Superrams1, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Superrams1

Superrams1 New commenter

Hi, has Anyone gone through the process of their school year being moved forward a week? I currently get paid for 39 weeks based on a 52 week year running from Sept 1 through to end of August. The academy is now moving the calendar forward to start in the last week in August. This in effect means that I will work 40 weeks next year followed by 39 weeks the year after. The school is saying that we will not get paid the additional days in August as they are changing the school year to run from August through to August. Am I wrong in thinking that I should only accept to work 39 weeks every year and any variation (regardless of them changing school year start and end dates) would need discussing and salary being paid for the one year transition between old and new year school dates.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If they pay you the extra week now, then what happens when you leave? Do you have to work the last week in August to get your 39 weeks in that year, or be paid for only 38 weeks that year? In the long run, I think you'd be gaining a week's pay now only to lose it later, so I'm not convinced it's worth fighting over.

Are they moving the employment year as well as the teaching year? That would make a lot of sense; new staff would need to start in August. However there might be issues about continuity of service for those moving to another post. (Continuity of service seems to matter for less and less nowadays, though.)

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

How is the academy going to deal with teachers? If teachers are on standard contracts that only require them to attend and be directed for 1265 hours a year (195 days/39 weeks) what happens when school wants to teach for 40 weeks in 2019/20?

What do your union say?

Schools do need to bring their Autumn start date forward by a week from time to time otherwise the start date slips later and later into September because of the way a calendar works. But usually the earlier start date is offset by an earlier finish date in July so that the year still does not exceed 39 term time weeks.