1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changes in requirements for Shanghai working visa?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by bristolbornandred83, Sep 17, 2018.

1. bristolbornandred83

bristolbornandred83 New commenter

Hi everybody

Has anybody recently been affected by so called changes to Shanghai's requirements for issuing work permit letters? My company gave me strict instructions to gain an enhanced DBS certificate and get it notarised by a solicitor, validated and then accepted by the Chinese embassy. The whole process took me several weeks and lots of money.

I finally received my validated documents back today and just as I was about to send it, I received an E-mail telling me the process had suddenly been changed this week, effective immediately. Apparently, I now need to apply for a police certificate... a further £60, plus legalization costs and several weeks further wait before I am earning a salary. To say I am furious is an understatement.

Has anybody ever experienced a similar situation? If so, are there any ways around this? Funny thing is, my employer is actually an established company and not some cowboy chain school so I am shocked that this has happened.

Cheers
    Luke

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If the Chinese government make changes to the visa rules, without notice, then anyone employing foreigners has no choice but to comply - this will be because of the government, not your school messing you about.

Is your school not going to reimburse you for the costs? I would expect any non-cowboy chain to do so.

bristolbornandred83 likes this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The issue is the DBS Certificate doesn't have a wet signature on it and therefore can not be processed.

You will the HR departments full of the female relatives of the schools owners who spend all their time having the fingernails paint, they dont actually do the paper work. All the visa processing is done by an agent, so lines of communication are limited.

Just because its a large and established organization doesn't mean it is well run. I am sorry for the situation the school is causing you.

bristolbornandred83 likes this.
  4. bristolbornandred83

Thank you for your replies.

I just find it very odd that they would suddenly change the rules with no prior warning and make them effective immediately. I was wondering if my company had made a mistake because they've got a few things wrong in the process already and there doesn't seem to be any information anywhere about these changes.

5. february31st

Maybe it has something to with an American teacher working in Dhanghai for the last few years who was wanted by the American police in for questioning over the murder of his wife.

Also several other cases of theachers working in China who have had serious criminal convictions that should prevent them working as teachers in any country.

6. february31st

Maybe it has something to with an American teacher working in Dhanghai for the last few years who was wanted by the American police in for questioning over the murder of his wife.

Also several other cases of theachers working in China who have had serious criminal convictions that should prevent them working as teachers in any country.

7. bristolbornandred83

So yes, I've had it confirmed that policy has indeed been changed. Hopefully the message will get through to all Shanghai based employers and potential teachers, so nobody has the same situation as me. You will need a police certificate and NOT an enhanced DBS check in order to get your work invitation letter. Be aware that this could change at any time and be prepared for months of waiting if you want to work in Shanghai.

8. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

It might be that the school's contact at the work permit place used to allow certain things, but has now changed their mind. Or it could be that your HR people have messed up, or misunderstood something, or not thought to tell you something. Who knows. Welcome to China!

9. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

It's China. The rules are different for every city, and, yes, they can change at the drop of a hat or the whim of a civil servant. It happened last year too, around March (halfway through the visa process) so HR departments really had no more clue about what was going on than applicants.