1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

changes in post compulsory education

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by sagastars, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Hi, i have an interview on friday for post compulsory education and am a bit stuck.
    one of the questions i can prepare myself for is

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

"discuss one of the changes in post compulsory education in the past 5
    year" i have tried to get info on line but there does not seem to be any
    concrete answer. i am hoping that someone could give me ideas that i can search
    further.

Thankful for advise
    Sagastars

2. Hi, i have an interview on friday for post compulsory education and am a bit stuck.
    one of the questions i can prepare myself for is

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

"discuss one of the changes in post compulsory education in the past 5
    year" i have tried to get info on line but there does not seem to be any
    concrete answer. i am hoping that someone could give me ideas that i can search
    further.

Thankful for advise
    Sagastars

3. introduction of functional skills?

4. sorry just realised you didnt say what subject you are going for so might not actually be that useful! Altho I think it will affect a lot of subjects!

5. I didntthink i would get a response so quickly! thanx!
    i am planning on doing pgce in media studies with film studies as second choice.
    i really just need advise on which area of posto compulsive sector that i can actually find info on. i have tried and tried but the inbfo out there is not great. i am to discuss one of the changes in the sectorfor the past 5 years.
    thanks again for help

6. I guess that you should also be looking at the changes to regulations re training and qualifications :
    In addition the safeguarding aspects of FE have dramatically affecting Equality and Diversity and the promotion of E and D within the teaching / facilitating teaching in FE.

7. New teachers now have to take a teaching qualification (google PTTLS CTTLS DTTLS)
    schools sending groups into college for some courses
    colleges taking students from age 14
    IFL - institute for learning - agaihn google

8. I'd go for the changes to qualifications and the increasing need to get evidence from the workplace and how difficult this is making it for college lecturers to get qualifications that mean something for full-time students.

9. I have an interview next month for a pgce in post compulsory education, one of the things I have to do is;

Group task- I will be placed in a small group and asked to discuss a key educational issue in post-compulsory education. Following the discussion, the group will preset its findings.

I could do with some advice on what to look up? thanks :D

10. where have you guys applied? if any of you guys apply at BCU let me know and i'll give you some tips.

11. You could explore how the increased costs to adult learners is effectively preventing many from returning to FE thus depriving them of the chance to improve their qualifications and enhance their job prospects or even make career changes and how this is putting courses (and jobs) at risk especially those traditionally associated with adults such as horticulture.

12. True but...
    Not so sure about the evidence for this. I'd say the jury was out on this point, and is likely to be out for some time. We have to see how student loans (for L3 courses for over 24s) pan out.
    Don't know about horiticuluture.
    But I've got a funny feeling about other areas such as my own (engineering). I think student numbers from over 24s could actually take off. That's because it is an ecomomic no-brainer for someone working on the tools to take out a loan to pay for a L3 technical course (bridging to L4/5 FDSc). It this gets them off their knees and into the office then all well and good, bu if not - what's to lose, because they'll never earn enough to pay the loan back?
    I agree about the cost been passed to the learner, (but ultimately to employers), but this is far from the death knell for adult learning in FE.
    Unless of course you teach something of no economic value.
    Is there not much call for horticulturalists?

13. Subject/policy changes you could discuss are:
    Abolishment of Train 2 Gain (thankF''k for that)ooopps
    Foundation learning Tier
    Functional skills
    Impact of Equality Act
    Enrichment?
    Skills strategy - funding only avaliable for up to 25 yrs (no more gravy train)
    Oh how about Diploma? Conservatives don't like it!
    I would suggest you take a peek on Edexcel Policy watch. Always good for quick shufty.
    No more funding for ESOL
    Offender learning

Cosmos- Functional skills is pretty boring [​IMG]

14. Why do you think I was screaming?

15. I've applied to Brighton University and have my interview on tuesday...

Getting quite nervous and worried that my mind is going to go completly blank :/

16. If your mind does go completely blank, don't panic. Be honest and say so, we're all human and it happens to everyone at some point.

17. I think you should have checked out the current job market before making such a stupid and ill-informed statement.
    The job market is EXTREMELY competitive and you might find that your qualifications don't match those of other applicants to teach functional skills. Literacy teachers often have a degree in English or a closely related area and many numeracy tutors have a degree in maths, engineering or science.

18. I think you should have checked out the current job market before making such a stupid and ill-informed statement
    There was no need to be offensive Mr Job
    My comment was neither stupid nor ill-informed. my college is screaming for qualified functional skills tutors. I am qualified, I have been asked countless times, I have refused.