1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Changes afoot?

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by choe, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Just for fun I have recently been citing how many university challenge questions are art related - how are all those oxbridge candidates able to expected to answer questions that are on a subject that is not considered worthy of taking??? Hmmm, maybe its because lots of students for academic subjects have actually taken art right through to A level and then been accepted onto the most prestigious courses - that's how many of my city comprehensive students have that have made it to the hallowed halls and gained their oxbridge degrees - they know a fair bit about art, one interviewer spent longer asking about their artwork than their Chemistry knowledge last year. Gives the senior managers something to think about...

2. I've been worried for decades tbh. First, increased class sizes. (They used to be the same size as DT classes) Next, Graphics etc. taken over by DT (and sometimes Textiles) Next, the rise of the Performing Arts, where Art gets lumped together with Drama and Music. Next, what I perceive to be an over-emphasis on 'formal contextual' stuff/artist link etc. What happened to art teachers having ideas as artists in their own right?
    (I'm not against DT, Drama etc. but timetabling for Art has suffered)
    Sorry, I'm a grumpy old-timer, and whilst I have seen some marvellous work at KS5, I feel that KS3 and KS4 have declined in quality since the eighties. eg I used to do whole class 3 colour screen-printing. Today, that's just too impracticable.

3. http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/curriculum/nationalcurriculum/b0073043/remit-for-review-of-the-national-curriculum-in-england/consultation

This is a link to the officail website where you can put forward your own thoughts and opinions. There is a call for evidence form all and any interested ( or not for that matter) parties. You can fill in a questionaire on line or by post.
    The NSEAD is strongly encouraging all arts related teachers to respond. So the more of us that do the better chance we have of ensuring that art craft and design maintains its standing

4. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

I find the coalition's disregard for art, music etc so short sighted and frankly damaging.
    There has been numerous evidence over the last few years of the value of the UK's creative industries to the economy. It has grown at a staggering rate and to stamp out its value is absurd.
    As a hopeful art and design teacher (in this year's ITT intake) I'm fearful of what lies ahead. The number of places has already been cut by almost half for 2011.
    Do people think there's a chance Art will be cut from the curriculum altogether?

5. In theory computers can do all jobs which have standards or can be regulated.
    IT experts are starting to look for creative people for this resion as people understand people better than computers.

6. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

http://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId=1730&external=no&menu=1

7. Without meaning to sound like the bearer of bad news, and apologies if I am repeating what has already been said, but there are rumours that are coming out of the Curriculum Review that are rather shocking. One that has been brushed upon here already, and is my opinion the most pertinant, is the talk of stripping Art & Design from the National Curriculum at KS1-3.

This and the introduction of the EBacc, as you are all aware having no emphasis on any of the Arts, seem like a combination that further marginalising Art & Design in a climate where creative and critical thinkers are no doubt needed. The blatant disregard for the Arts goes further than this though.

PGCE courses for all Arts subjects have been slashed, with place on Art & Design PGCE's places falling by over half, and causing some to have to close due to the funding issues. My own course has just been slashed and in order to stay open has had to cut its staffing from 4 tutors to 1.

There are however forums starting up in the London area to bring together educators, artists, parents, and pupils to discuss these issues and possible action.

8. Art teachers - get off your backsides and fight!
    Having taught Art now for 38 years I am appalled at what has happened in the last 10 years as the results of NC testing and the curriculum at KS2 have cut Art 'teaching' to nothing of any realk value. To be hit with gove's latest is the final straw.
    I have filled in the DFES consultaion doc becaus at least I could vent my frustration. Please, please, everyone do the same; write to your MP; do something to slow down Gove and his determionation to stifle creativity and individuality in the population of the future.
    Jo Wilson

9. All the points made here have been worrying me for weeks. In many ways what I find more worrying is the lack of response publicly from the arts establishment. Presumably the Private sector will reclaim it's territory. This Gove curriculum is something my father would recognise and he is 80! Funnily enough he doesn't wax lyrical about how wonderful his school days were.

10. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

DeanCoulson could you let us know about these forums you mention?

11. <font face="Times New Roman">I become so angry when I read that Mr. Grove might even be complicating the idea that art and design may not appear in the national curriculum in the near future, as an up and coming art and design teacher I was extremely dyslexic in school thankfully I received help but I was much more a creative person because of it, I excelled in art and design and I was so thankful that in school that there was a part way that I could excel in, if the arts are taken away what will happen to this small majority of pupils with learning difficulties, should they just be forgotten about because they don&rsquo;t fit in to these new educational guide lines???</font>

12. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

That's precisely it - write to Michael Gove! If you google him you can find his personal website and email there.
    There's also the consultation document which everybody who feels strongly should contribute to www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm
    Unfortunately the feeling is that we may well see art removed from the curriculum - and once it's gone, will it ever get back on there?

13. Culture is what binds humanity. Without culture we are nothing more than animals.

Without Art , Music and Drama we have no culture.

Without Art, Music and Drama we are not even human, can you imagine a generation who do not dance, who do not paint who do not sing, who do not enjoy?

No No No No No. I would die to defend the human spirit.

14. Is education about teaching young people to have happy lives or to make more money for the fat cats?