1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Change"

Discussion in 'English' started by anteater, May 5, 2011.

1. anteater

anteater New commenter

Has anyone attempted this task with Y10 (Producing Creative texts - AQA)?
    The web host of a creative writing website appraoches you to submit some writing for it. This month's theme is "Change." You have complete freedom in your choice of form, but are asked not to make what you submit longer than 1000 words. Write your piece for the website.

Short story would clearly be ok. Am steering clear of poetry and script writing (partly because I don't think my group would want to do either of those things anyway, and partly because I think it would be easier to hit the assessment objectives writing in prose).
    But what other form(s) would anyone choose on a creative writing website? Do you think a blog of some sort would be acceptable? Any other ideas out there?
    Having "complete freedom" sounds great in theory, but I'm struggling to come up with any form other than a short story (or blog?)

2. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

We did this task in our school with very productive and original results - either descriptive or narrative pieces. My Year 10s were a bit sluggish at first but in the initial planning lessons there were loads of creative and abstract interpretations of the title. Try it - ask your class to mindmap stories with 'Change' as the title - it could be appearances, seasons, identities, loose change, moving home, changing you life. Some went a more traditional route and mapped the changes in a day (descriptive writing) others did spy genre pieces etc. One thing I did (to help me) was I used the same mindmap activity as a starter with all my KS3 classes to add to the ideas bank -they came up with loads! In terms of descriptive and story writing, lots of our old GCSE resources could be adapted to build up skills.

3. anteater

anteater New commenter

Being cheeky and bumping this up from the second page in the hope that others may have an informed opinion on how far the concept of "creative writing" can be stretched. Can it really include writing about topics such as size 0 models, as medina suggests?