1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Change your year 10 sets to mixed ability after Christmas" directive

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by quarryman59, Dec 6, 2011.

1. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

I certainly don't like the idea of having changes foisted/forced upon you partway through a course.
    I suppose sometimes drastic action is required, but I would also argue that if things are so drastic then staff need to agree and work together.

2. DeborahCarol

DeborahCarol New commenter

This must be the craziest thing I've heard for a while. Teach those who have problems with 4x3, let alone work out one angle of a triangle given the other two, alongside those who can solve quadratics?
    If you're all against it, but it sounds as if it's going to be made 'law', why don't you simply all offer your resignation tomorrow? That could be most effective.

3. If I were in your situation, I would be looking for a new job. I understand that mathematics is a shortage subject. You might even get a promotion. I would certainly place on record my disagreement with the sudden change in policy, eg with a letter to the HT and the CoG, making the points that other posts have mentioned. There are few schools that use mixed ability beyond a few weeks in Year 7.

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I could not agree more - one thing's for certain; when the results of these kids take a dip (and when your departmental sick rates rise because of the stress and "learning walks" reveal more "unsatisfactory" lessons), it won't be the SLT who'll take the blame.

It'll all be down to the "poor teaching".

5. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

I was in the same boat a few years ago as HoD. I did the above and also put it in writing. As another poster mentioned, I asked if there were other schools who were using this startegy effectively. It was never mentioned again.

6. I totally agree with you.
    In my opinion, it is very difficult to stretch the most able students in mixed ability classes. Why do we have a two-tier system and syllabi? Just being dropped into mixed ability teaching (especially in Year 10) will eventually prove to be inefffective and possibly a disaster unless you have a super team who are prepared to put in the extra time/effort to prepare for these lessons.
    Furthermore, pupils who are not so confident in Mathematics need time to develop and gain in confidence through individual help in smaller sets.