1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change to working pattern

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Pottypaintpot, May 1, 2019.

1. Pottypaintpot

Pottypaintpot New commenter

If your 0.6 pattern has been 3 full half days or 0.5 has been 2 and a half full days, can they decide to make you do half days? So either 1 full and 4 half or 5 half if .5?

I’ve been 0.6 for a number of years. SLT are saying there’s a big budget issue and they need to change the working pattern of the art time staff.

They will endeavour to tell us to give us enough time to give notice if we aren’t happy with the new pattern or role.

I can’t see how changing work pattern will save money. Teachers resigning will.

lardylegs likes this.
  2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If your working pattern is specified in your contract, then they can't change it without your willing agreement. However if they need to make the changes, then they could declare redundancies. For instance, if they've had a couple of teachers doing PPA cover in the afternoons, and to make the budget balance they're going to replace that with HLTAs, then they will need to redeploy those teachers to cover a class between them, or make them redundant.

If the working pattern is not specified, then given that they're warning you now, and saying that they will tell you before the resignation date, I think they're being fairly reasonable about it. We've seen a fair few cases on here of people being told in July about changes to their days - which is too late to resign and often too late to make the necessary changes to childcare arrangements.

I think you suspect that they may be making the changes in the hope that some of you will resign, saving them from having to declare a redundancy? I'm not sure what can be done, if so.

3. slstrong123

slstrong123 New commenter

Similar question. My contract was 0.6 in secondary school. We agreed via emails no tutor or period 1, but otherwise I was happy to be in every day.i applied to increase my hours to 0.8, which was agreed in writing and then via emails I confirmed I couldn't do period 1 on Tuesday and Friday and couldn't do any period 6 (which is for a levels classes only) but was otherwise available all week. For the current academic year, this was agreed and timetabled as per the emails.

Back before Easter, the member of SLT responsible for timetabling asked all part time staff to email what they wanted for next year and I confirmed next academic year, I would need the same part time arrangements as already doing this year.

SLT are now consulting all staff about proposed changes to school day with 20th May deadline. The plan was to go ahead with change in school day (and length of term times, number of lessons in the week etc) for September 2019. I have not heard anything about my own agreed (via emails) current working hours and whether they will remain the same....
    Can the school day, term times, number of lessons for all staff be changed with such short notice, given the resignation deadline is 31st May? Where does this leave me and my current working arrangements?
    Are they hoping some people will leave?

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

How do the changes to the school day affect your availability? If not doing last period and T/F period 1 is still all you need, then it's probably reasonable to assume they will still work with that. But if the changes to the structure mean that you can't do period 2 or period n-1, then you need to re-visit what you said before Easter. In either case, I would pop in a question as to whether there will be any change to being able to timetable you around those restrictions, reminding them that you will need to know by the end of the consultation.