1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change to role once through threshold?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Lilolme, Apr 17, 2012.

1. I was listening to some of my colleagues debate whether it was worth applying to go through threshold to UPS1. They were arguing about how a teacher's role would change once they had gone through threshold. I thought more pay would equal more responsibility, but how would this come about? What kinds of responsilbity would be given, or what kind of things would be expected?

Yours, curiously,
    Lilolme!

2. coppull

coppull New commenter

Clearly your friends live a sheltered life and do not read this web site[​IMG]. This question has been answered time and time again. You do not have take on any extra roles at the current time..Unless you believe the HT and the SMT.
    It is one way that you can receive a pay rise,while there is nearly a four year pay freeze,pension contributions going up over the next three years and Regional Pay on its way.
    If your colleagues are on M6 and are eligible. Suggest they read the topic " Threshold Application letters- Examples" which is on this page.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Threshold and UPS were brought in as a way of experienced teachers being financially rewarded when staying as a classroom teacher and not taking on leadership roles.
    You are rewarded for continuing to meet the core standards and for additionally meeting the 10 Post Threshold standards.
    There are no workload strings attached to UPS.

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i've gone through threshold and haven't been given any more responsibilities. the ones i have are quite enough, and that's recognised!

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Your colleagues are muppets :p

6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Under the standard pay and conditions document, there are no extra responsibilities for UPS teachers but to meet some of the post threshold standards you may need to show evidence that you are mentoring colleagues either internally (e.g. as subject leader) or PGCSE / GTP students.
    In primary schools there is often resistance against UPS by headteachers who have smaller budgets to use and often they pile on extra work as they feel that the extra pay should require extra responsibility. It may be that there is a culture in your school (I don't know if you are at a primary or secondary school but I have not heard of UPS responsibility issues occuring at secondary schools) where this occurs due to how SMT presents UPS to the staff.

7. Thank you all (sorry I couldn't get on to reply before now!)

Interesting to read - I am primary and SMT definitely expect more once through threshold, with pressure due to increased pay. As usual, in a small primary I'm not sure how to combat it, but I'm grateful to have all you fab TES posters to set me straight!