1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change to QTS-Government white paper

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by theluckycat, Mar 19, 2016.

1. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

Evening all,

I am interested in some clarification on how the changes to QTS affect those in the middle of teacher training on a PGCE at the moment. Does it make gaining QTS a worthless qualification, or will recruiters still look on the training as valuable? Where does it leave student teachers?

Thanks.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

At the moment I don't think that this can be answered. However, i do seriously suggest that you consider if being a teacher will be a good thing in the future based upon all of these changes.

3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

If it takes two years to do the new scheme and assuming it takes them a year to put it into operation. Then anyone with doing a PGCE now will be able to go for their first job, in the knowledge that they will not be in competition, with the new schemes guinea pigs. If they rush it in this September, no one can say.

QTS would not become worthless overnight. Its standing will depend on the perception of the new course. What that will be nobody knows. If it's rushed in for September expect a pigs ear of a scheme. I wish I could say they would not do this, but as they expect us to teach new GCSE courses without agreed and accredited specifications, who knows?

45dd167f9a382b6b83b3471c94b30150.jpg