1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change to dates of holidays due to royal wedding

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rolf33, Feb 5, 2011.

1. My school, along with others in the area, have recently announced changes to our Easter holidays because of the royal wedding. Where we would have finished on Friday 8th April to return Wed 27th, we are now finishing on Tuesday 12th to return on Tuesday 3rd May. The reason they give is 'less disruption' to the children. I know this sounds petty but as a part time worker I'm now having to work an extra day. Plus, those staff who already had holidays booked who will be away on the new 'work' days are not obliged to come to work. We will be covering their classes. Is this reasonable? Can I ask to be paid for the 'extra' day?

2. My school, along with others in the area, have recently announced changes to our Easter holidays because of the royal wedding. Where we would have finished on Friday 8th April to return Wed 27th, we are now finishing on Tuesday 12th to return on Tuesday 3rd May. The reason they give is 'less disruption' to the children. I know this sounds petty but as a part time worker I'm now having to work an extra day. Plus, those staff who already had holidays booked who will be away on the new 'work' days are not obliged to come to work. We will be covering their classes. Is this reasonable? Can I ask to be paid for the 'extra' day?

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

What counts as "already had holidays booked"? Obviously if you've booked travel/accomodation, that's fairly clear. But what if your partner or a friend had booked the time off so that you could go away together in a caravan or on a last-minute deal? What if you'd sorted childcare for the original dates and can't change it?
    The long weekend does make for a messy start to term - I bet they're not so much concerned about that, though, as about the number of families that will realise that they could take a fortnight's holiday encompassing four bank holidays, at a cost of the kids missing two days of school. Any guesses for absence levels on those two days?
    Uneven distribution of days through the timetable year often gives rise to some part-timers doing more/less than the expected total number of days, and I don't know if there is any official ruling. I think most people just take it as it comes, and possibly you would have if the dates had not been changed.
    I don't see that you can be asked to do the cover, though. It's not unexpected, and there's no reason why they can't use supply. It'll cost them, but that should have been factored into the decision to change the dates.

4. Thanks. Think the decision to change has more to do with 'going along with everyone else' than the thoughts of the staff or the children. Unfortunately for me, my partner works in a school too, though his school isn't changing dates. I can't complain about problems with childcare or his having time booked off. Suppose it's just one of those things that leave a bad taste but have to be 'sucked up'!