1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change of SEN class focus - advice please

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Hillbythesea, Aug 17, 2012.

1. <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr><td class="post">Making a long story very short, although I have a SEN background, my job has changed for September and I will be running a multiple and complex needs attached unit. Due to the details of this long story I've only been able to get my brain around what I need to be doing since I've started the summer holidays. I've visited other settings and spoken with practitioners, but I'd be grateful for any does and donts on key things such as classroom layout, timetable, resources, learning and teaching. I'm aware that some of this will be pupil specific, but I'd be grateful for some general ideas. Thanks in advance. </td></tr></table>

2. Please please please check the terms of employment of your Teaching Assistants and audit any training needs they may have. Get to know them really quickly as they will be your <u>best</u> resource. They must be entirely flexible, aware of and trained in child protection issues but protected at the same time from things like injury through bad practice (eg lifting) or poor training. And, most importantly, have your IEPs, BSPs and Care plans in place. Everyone there must be familiar with the content and it needs to be reviewed with all parties, especially parents. And don't forget a care plan for yourself! Great tip on not too much stimulation. Very strict routines are critical too, as are visual cues and pictorial timetables. Good luck!

3. Thank you for your responses. The first week went well and your advice was spot on! The list of training needs is progressing nicely as well.

4. You're probably aware of this but just a reminder to work with parents. They will have lots of helpful advice about their own kids and, in my experience they really appreciate being consulted - not just spoken to when there are problems. The home school diary can be a useful two -way communication aid. Glad it's going well.