1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change of schools for my 5 year old?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Milgod, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I can't understand schools that allow parents to come into the cloakroom to help children. All it is doing is causing them to become dependent. In reception maybe I can understand the need for help, but by Y1 they should be able to hang their coats up by themselves.

At our school we have learning assembly once a term. If a parent wishes to talk with a teacher they can after school easily enough. We have the occasional themed week when parents are invited in for an afternoon, but I wouldn't want any extra to that.

To the OP. Are you suggesting that the school should have an assembly every week for parents to come to?

2. char2505

char2505 New commenter

No sure what your circumstances are, but if you are free in the days maybe you could consider volunteering to hear chn read etc at the school to feel a bit more involved? Or if it was the more social side you could arrange a mum's evening out? I bet the school has a PTA, too.

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I was wondering why the OP hadn't come back on here, but she's also posted the question on Personal and Opinion. Either she's a troll, or is going around all the forums until she gets the response that she wanted.

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I'd say it was a freaky post and I'm a bit of a fruitcake of a parent.

5. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

...but it has opened up the issue of common practice in this area...and I'm green with envy at all you folk who have little parental involvement! We have ...parents in both morning and evening if they have something to say, Family assemblies combined with family lunch, Parents' Forum, Parental lesson observations once a month, 3 Parents' Evenings a year, Parental questionnaires every so often, half termly snapshot reports and of course the monthly newsletter! You can imagine how the staff love all that!! And, of course, there are still parents who say the school doesn't communicate enough! Grrrrr!!

6. All I can say is you poor thing - I could not work under such a regime.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

As a parent, it is nice to know what's going on and what topics are being studied so you can help them with work. It is also good to get your opinion over to the school about certain practices - but I don't see why parents should observe a lesson. Don't forget - parents are your customers and in this modern world, customers are all important [​IMG]

8. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Yes but you can have too much of a good thing!! [​IMG]

9. I rather like to think of the children as my 'customers'!

10. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

My cry in the staff room almost daily! Thank you cg!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Moi!!!
    I do however think it is important that there is a communication between parents and schools. What schools do and expect does have an impact at home - e.g. 3 day notice about events at schools which involve dressing up etc, homework on a Friday to be given in Monday, Parents' evenings times, times for school events etc. It is useful to have some kind of communication so school and family work together.
    Just a case of finding the balance.

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

But, I'm sorry to say, when it comes to parents, the customer is not always right.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

True! But they talk though. It's interesting now being a parent at the school gates. You hear all sorts of conversations.

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

In my experience most of them are nonsense and wildly inaccurate!

15. We chose to put our kids in schools that were not neighbourhood schools and I am still regretting it, 19 years later.

Neighbourhood friends and the friendship circle are more important to their future social life than anything, as long as they are making progess.

And as a teacher, you will be able to make good any deficiencies!

16. And don't you just get fed up with people who post a question and get 20-30 cosidered replies, and can't be bothered to acknowledge them????

17. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I know, the op posted it on 3 forums and then didn't respond - probably didn't like the answers. She's now posting on careers. Thankfully her grammar and spelling seem to have improved a little on there.

18. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

apart from the annual Christmas show and city musical events, my parents never came to visit my school.
    I gained 9 O levels, went on to a Teaching Degree etc.
    Why are school required to entertain the parents as well as teach the pupils these days?

19. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Ditto. But my parents could see what was happening if they wanted to because our exercise books and text books went home regularly for homework. They could therefore see all the homework and classwork very regularly if they wished to, and the text books gave a good idea what we were going to cover that year.
    As a parent I have the same qualms about the parental entertainment - it takes up valuable teaching time and energy, and it maybe gives the impression of letting parents know what their children are learning, but it doesn't really. So it's not really serving either side. Having said that, I'm sure it is nice for children to think that you are interested because you roll up for the assemblies etc. But then if you can't go because of work etc you feel that your child is going to feel the odd one out. I don't remember much of anything when I was a child where parents would have been invited to turn out to school during the working day - unless maybe you had set fire to the school.

20. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Because we're supposed to recognise that parents are our "customers" hence the new "parent view" website from Ofsted. Oh how I would love a "rate my parenting" website.
    I'm all for partnership but it's a myth that all parents want what's best for their children. I've lost count of the number of parents who have refused support from speech and language therapy, the educational psychology service, 1-1 tuition and additional support. I've lost count of the number of parents who put their needs and addictions before their child's basic needs. Many parents want what's best for their children, not all do.