1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change of scenery

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by R0bb074, Jul 17, 2019.

1. R0bb074

R0bb074 New commenter

Hi all,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. I’m currently employed in the private education sector within the MOD (if that makes sense) teaching young adults electrical science and engineering. I have been in my current post for about 5 years, and although I really enjoy it, I feel it is time for a new audience and location. I have applied for several positions to the ME but to no avail. Most posts that I have applied for seem to ask for experience in delivering the UK curriculum, (even the private ones) hence, I think, that is the problem.

How do I go about this? If I apply for an interim post at a secondary school, obviously I will be an NQT and that will mean (I’m sure) a drop in my salary and besides, an NQT is in the same position (catch 22). I’m in my 40’s got into teaching late (ex-forces) but I have completed all quals (PGCE, QTS etc). I have also taught for a short time in a university. Subject is ICT, surely that would be enough?

Anyone actually jumped from private school to secondary in the ME or similar? I think that I would also consider Europe.

I thank you in advance.

2. R0bb074

R0bb074 New commenter

I have recently spoken to some colleagues (ex-secondary and FE), who have advised me that it might be due to the fact that most schools in the ME are in fact getting ready for summer vacation. Also, they have told me that what we deliver is actually AQA based - so...technically I have delivered elements of the national curriculum right?

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Look at IB schools internationally. The IB dwarfs the British system, although a new school year is about to start. Recruitment for international schools generally runs between September to the end of February for classroom teachers.
    The ME is no longer the goldern goose it once was. There are far higher paying countries with far less lifestyle restrictions.

4. R0bb074

R0bb074 New commenter

Thanks for the advice dumbbells66. I really enjoy it where I am but I really do feel the need to move on. Where would you suggest? IB was recommended by a colleague of mine last week, and I will certainly look into it. I also looked at Singapore, but it seems really difficult to get in. I'm in the Netherlands in two weeks and thought about sending a few applications there. Heard anything bad about Holland?

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Go check out the teaching abroad forum on this website. Its full of useful information

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

On the "Teaching Abroad" forum you might perhaps come across one or two of my posts. Maybe I could be of some help. I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things, R0bb074.