1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Change of plan - leaving teaching!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by MrsVE, Dec 2, 2018.

1. MrsVE

MrsVE New commenter

Hi,
    so I don’t usually post anything in these forums but often read other people’s threads for support and advice. Anyway, thought I’d share my current experience to see if anyone else out there has been through or is considering something similar!

I have been a teacher for 11 years and have loved my job, working hard to become part of the SLT and governing body in a very challenging primary school. Challenging in more ways than one...
    I am currently on ‘maternity leave’, however, I’m not going back!
    Up until I left last Christmas I was eyfs lead - loved it! When I was due to return I was being moved to ks2, which I have enjoyed working in for a number of years.

Unexpectedly, I went to register my daughter at a day nursery in my home town. I have now ended up being appointed at the deputy manager, working 3.5 days a week, on half the pay of my previous role and with 5 weeks holiday, not 13!
    Obviously I had to apply for this role, I don’t know what came over me but I think I could have made one of the best decisions of my later life!

I’ve waited 6 years to become a mummy, undergoing ivf treatment and the thought of going back to all the extra work which I was once so passionate about, upset me! I was so worried if not be able to do either job properly as I haven’t taught in ks2 for 5 years and didn’t feel confident to go back in there and balance everything!

This was such a difficult decision to make, feeling like I’ve let my school down, given up on what I’ve worked hard for, living with regret, but something inside me just clicked!

My head teacher has been so unbelievably supportive and let me leave early rather than my 12 weeks notice, however I do have to pay back a percentage of my maternity pay! I’ve seen it as a loan for having an amazing year off!

Anyway, sorry if this is long, rambling and maybe pointless but I just wanted to share with like minded people and find out if anyone else has ever done something similar?

Also, I do plan on returning to teaching when my daughter starts school! But let’s face it, who knows what the future holds!
    X

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

This is lovely to read.

Money and holidays are meaningless if you can't enjoy them!!

All the best with your new life!

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

You may return in the future, you may not - but what matters is now, and the wonderful times you will now have time to enjoy and cherish with your daughter. You can never get the time back, so make the most of every minute - and enjoy your new role!

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I wholeheartedly agree. You never know what life is going to throw at you in years to come - as none of us do either - but you have your lovely little daughter now and time with her is precious. I agree with what sunshineneeded has said. I agree also that money and holidays are altogether meaningless if you can't enjoy them. I wish you all the best and the happiest life you can have in the future.

agathamorse and MrsVE like this.
  5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

I suspect many people will envy your decision. Sounds like it was right for you and your family :)

agathamorse, Shedman and MrsVE like this.
  6. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

Can I ask if your head wants you to pay it back in one go or in small payments? xx

7. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Well done you! I hope it is as wonderful as it sounds. Good luck.

Shedman and MrsVE like this.
  8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

sounds amazing, well done, keep an open mind about going back, it may be for you, it may not be.

Shedman and MrsVE like this.
  9. Eliz_Nuttall

Eliz_Nuttall New commenter

This is such a brave decision - it’s amazing to read about people taking the plunge. I am in a similar position in many ways but with a step child and not maternity leave. I just need to decide whether to jump or not!

agathamorse likes this.
  10. MrsVE

MrsVE New commenter

Thank you for your response definitely something I haven’t decided to do lightly, I’ve loved my job but I remember the good stuff and not the
    Erm it was an awkward conversation to have but she’s asked for instalments, however, I’m thinking of paying in full as then it’s done

agathamorse likes this.
  11. MrsVE

MrsVE New commenter

I hope so too

12. MrsVE

MrsVE New commenter

Definitely will be keeping an open mind xx

13. MrsVE

MrsVE New commenter

Thanks! Definitely a brave decision, lots of sleepless nights but felt it was fate ‍♀️