1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

change of hours request

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mossup, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hi
    PLease bear with me, I'm not entirely sure where to post this so will post in a variety of places in the hope someone knows the answer!
    I currently work part-time (0.5) in an independent school teaching primary age. My children are now older and over the last few years I have requested increasing my hours, which has been acknowledged.
    Recently, a full time member of staff requested to reduce her hours to part time. It has been agreed and she is being allowed to do this. I am of course very pleased for her.
    What I would like to know is, does a part time worker requesting full time hours have the same rights of requesting change of hours as a full time worker?
    I should add that she has no children under the age of 18 nor is she caring for anyone elderly. I have 3 children under the age of 16.
    I have always thought that you should be treated equally, yet her role (which is not going to be a job share) has been agreed, yet if I want to increase my hours I have to apply for the post.
    There seem sto be an inbalance, but, I can't find anywhere about legalites of increasing hours!
    Thank you in advance
    a frustrated teacher desperate for more hours!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Surely this may mean an opening for an increase in your hours? No post *has* to be advertised other than that of the head teacher legally, but the school may have a policy of advertising to attract 'new blood' to their pool of talent.